Live bait question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigmike, Aug 30, 2006.

1. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I was talking to a group of guys the other day and I was wondering if they were feeding me BS or not because I never heard of this exactly. They told me when fishing wiht bluegills to hook them through the eyes so they can not see the catfish coming and will not try and swim away, plus this also gives off the wounded I am easy prey kind of appeal. throw me your ideas on this. This may be a stupid question but I have always fished with worms, lives, shrimp and what not but just started with live bait of this nature.

2. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I have used all sorts of shad and bluegills and I hook them through the eyes. I have heard many do this as well. The reason I do it is because they live a lot longer and they can still swim around. I sure in some sense that they do put off some sort of distress when they get hook, (who wouldn't). Everone has there own way of hooking live bait, but this is one way I like to use alot.

3. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    It does seem to work well for bluegill but it does look brutal, my wife doesn't approve.:eek:oooh:

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I usualy hook thru the eyes so I can heave it a little harder without worrying about it comming off the hook.

5. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    if tou just started fishing with live bait stick to it flatheads pefer live bait yes hooking through the eyes is good.good luck to ya.

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I hook bluegills through their eyes mainly because the head being bone, it's harder for the cats to snatch and grab .And it actually exposes the hook for better setting of the hook

7. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    that is the best way to present them to another fish, they swim around natural, but they limp to the side, man does that ever attrack other fish.. if you want to see it work go get fishin with john, on the show they explain why it works better than hookin it somewhere else.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    So what is the purpose of killing your bait in the first 3 minutes? It almost seems like it would be counter intuative to be "humane" to the bait fish by not letting it see its demise yet you have to stab the hook through its eyes to do so...

I prefer hooking them through the nostrils (in current or freelined)... through the back just behind the dorsal fin (when using a float) or just up above the anal fin (when the bait is tethered to the bottom with a slip weight)... works well and you don't have to kill the fish in 3 minutes...

9. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    hooking them in the eyes does not kill them they will live along time

10. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Got to agree with photocat on this one,been doing it that way for 40 years.It is just because my dad did it that way all his life and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who caught more cats over 30# than him.He was one heck of a catfisherman plus the luckiest old goat I ever seen.I would just go with what ever way works best for you.Try different ways until you find what suits you. We all have our preference on how to hook live bait.
    Just another reason this is the best cat sight anywhere.Great fisherman and 1000' s of years of experience to back it up.You just can't get any better info than on the BOC.
    But that's JMO

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    i have all ways hooked mine in the nose or right behind the dorsal fin why because that was the way I was tought :smile2:

12. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    we always go behind the dorel fin and i saw a show on tv they were catching monster hogs blue they would cut the tail so the fish couldnt get away and would release a scent in the water.good luck on your fishing

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have always hooked mine through the lips and have been trying to remember to hook them through the meat right at the tail. So far both have been working for me but I can't seem to catch a catfish with it just bass, go figure. I mainly lake fish and to the best of my knowledge there are no flatheads, I am just looking for a bigger catfish.

14. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont think it has anything to do with the bait seeing a predator but more of the longevity and the securing factor of hooking through then eyes. The skull part is pretty solid, and there is no vital organ in that area, so the fish usually live a long time when hooked there. I personally havnt ever hooked live fish that way, but I occasionally hook fresh dead shad there because its one fo the toughest parts on there body.

15. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i couldnt agree any more loki you took the words wright out of my mouth