Live Bait or Cut Bait this time of the Year? What do you all prefer?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishjohn, Dec 20, 2007.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I was wondering what most of you prefer during the cold months. I prefer to use both but live bait is getting hard to come by. Creeks and Ponds will be frozen over this time of the year in a lot of places and I can't use a cast net because of my back and neck. None of the bait shops I deal with have anything good this time of year. Only thing I can get is Crappie minnows. I still have a few frozen Skipjack that have been thawed then refroze due to the fridge coming unplugged. I'm planning on using them and live bait(if I can get any) at that new bank fishing spot I found. :cool2::big_smile:
    I may also try to fish the structure with Crappie minnows in the pool of the creek to go for Crappie and/or Ba$$. Hopefully the Channel cats will be there,I'd just as soon catch Channels than Crappie or Ba$$.
    I'll probably try the Skippies where the creek goes out. Just not sure what area would be the best to locate them.:confused2:
    I'm including the link to the thread where I have the pics of the spot. Let me know what you think. Also,give me some ideas where to put my bait where the creek mouth is. I'll probably be using a regular bottom rig and 1 with Mean Gene's Kat-Bobber.:wink::big_smile:
    Thanks in advance,I appreciate it. I haven't done much cold water fishing and would love to learn any tips,baits,bait placement location and any other info for winter cattin'.:confused2:
    I know we have some experts here so lets here what you all have to say!!! Its almost Christmas,,,Help a Brother out! LOL!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you on the BOC!!!!! May Christmas and the New Year be the Very Best ever!!!:big_smile:

Here is the link to that thread...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66412

Thanks All,
    John

2. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I prefer cut bait this time year.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    This time of year can be tricky, I would imagine the river may be up a little in your area, so slack water areas may be a good place to target right now:ie the mouth of the creek you are fishing, simply because there is more current right now, and those types of areas provide a break in the current that channels and blues like sometimes. I would use the bottom rig, and the float rig to see what works, maybe suspend the float rig a foot or so off the bottom. I prefer cut bait this time of year, live bait your right is hard to come by this time of year, especially in your situation. Skips that are frozen and thawed repeatedly just become hard to handle and very mushy, but hey, sub par skipjack is better than no skipjack..:wink: I couldnt bring up the links on this computer for some reason, so I couldnt get a look at your spot, I hope these little tips will help you out some. Merry Christmas to you and yours!:big_smile:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sorry about the links,i'll check them out and posy a couple here. Thanks for the info.
    That sounds like good info. I'm hoping to try to hit it tomorrow,supposed to be good weather.
    Stay tuned...:wink:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
  6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I prefer cut bait, but when targeting big fish it is definately time to switch to live bait. Well tomorrow is suppose to be warmer I would suggest trying the usual spots, or since it has been raining atleast here in tn not so sure about kentucky fish places that once was the shallows but now are deeper. Look for submerged structure, rocky areas or if you have a boat look for deep holes and dropoffs. I would try where the creek opens up and just outside the rocks.:tounge_out:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    john, i use both almost year round. however, i down size my baits late in the year and prefer smaller, more slender baits.. such as creek chubs or little smallmouth or largemouth bass when the water temps. get cold.... cut baits work great and i always have a fresh supply with me. i mainly target flats in their wintering holes, and deep water channels as well.. i would say you need to just try to use what you can get. i have a variety of places to catch bait year round so i feel blessed with that, but i understand what you are saying about it getting tougher..goodluck bro...rollo

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I prefer live bait in the colder months.

A nice frisky black perch...sized about 1-3" is just right to attract the ire of several different species in the colder months.

Besides the obvious catfish they attract...I also get alot of real nice walleye on small perch...as well as hefty largemouth...feisty kentucky bass...evil black souled smallmouth...bruiser wiper...lots of ravenous whitebass...jumbo crappie....and rainbow and brown trout both.

The obvious cosensus is that the predominate bait fish is perch where I live...and EVERYTHING eats them at one time or another....much like a soft shelled crawfish...they're high on the list as well.

I'd rather catch catfish more than I would a trout, whitebass, or a black bass...but in colder water...a mixed bag beats no action at all. (Those eye and crappie fillets are mighty tasty...and the wiper sure are fun to catch)

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice pics, CatfishJohn.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks all! Keep the comments and tips/ideas coming. Thanks!!!:wink: