Live Bait on Jig Heads for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dwreel, May 19, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Does anybody use live bait on a jig head? I'm thinking of trying it under a bobber. It would simplify the rig and use fewer knots.

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've never done it for catfish, but I have done it with quite a bit of sucess for crappie. It's worth a try.

3. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I have caught several channels using live minnows on a jighead. I was fishing for crappie and stripers at the time. I want to try a bigger jighead and a larger bait sometime, I think it would be very productive in the lakes around here.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use them with Hellgramites especially drifting down the river. Works real well and doesn't get hung up as much.

5. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jigging for Catfish has been around for quite awhile if not for years. Just never really talked about all that much. Works rather well around brush areas where your weight and leader combo will get hung up is one strategy. The other is for drifting letting the rig hang just over the edge of the boat bouncing along the bottom. I have a weight mold to make the various weight and hook sizes. Shrimp seems to work the best as the natural curve of the bait will tend to cut down on the snags. Worms with injected air in the tail work well also. If you feel like really experimenting as most of us do, tie on another hook 2 feet up your line and run both baits to give them a selection and let the jig be the weighted section at the bottomÂ….

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I never trying use a jig with live bait, for catfish. But I have heard they use jigs with live bait for walleyes, and crappie.

7. RRaider

RRaider Guest

My son snagged a 3lb channel in a local pond where we have only seen fish under 1lb caught last year using a minnow on a jig head under a bobber.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Teamwiskers is right! That double rig works on a lot of species including cats. I fish a river that isn't too deep in most places and drift a canoe, (Scanoe), with the pole just hanging over the side. I customized an 8 foot fly rod with an ultra light spinning reel just for that kind of drifting. Works great for smallies with a Hellgramite/jighead on bottom and a spinner/fly,(Joes Fly) on the top.