The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I caught my first flathead on a live goldfish, and found out that they are legal to use here in Oklahoma, I have used them several times. So far, to no success.
One source has them at about 2 1/2” long.
Another, they were almost twice that.
Does anyone have an opinion on what size gets bites faster?
A couple days ago, I had one on the hook for around 6 hours, still alive and active. No bites.

Also, has anyone had any luck with using dead goldfish for bait?

·
Administrator
10,487 Posts
My preference would be the larger ones at about 4-1/2 to 5 inches. But that can also depend on cost. But I find that bigger bait tend to catch bigger flatheads. That is not always true but usually. Keep in mind that a small flathead has a big mouth and if he is hungry, even a small one will go for a big bait.

With either size the biggest issue is putting them where the flatheads are at. A beautiful bait still won't get bit if it isn't where the cats are at.

Now me personally, I have caught flatheads on live bait but have done much better on fresh cut bait. having read tons of comment on here from many members, folks go both ways on that question. But if you have a lively bait on for a long time and it finally dies it can still be really fresh cut bait. And the added scent to the water can be like a dinner bell in that area.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,079 Posts
Like Tom I use live baits around 5 inches for flatheads and have used bait up to 10 inches. But also like Tom I do better on fresh cut.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like cutting one of the pectoral fins on live bait, makes the bait work harder to stay oriented in the water...I figure a little blood and struggle can't hurt;)

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,085 Posts
Bigger live baits make more ruckus to invite mr. flatty to his dinner.
I figured anything would eat a 2 inch goldfish though especially in clear water in the right location.
I use hand size or bigger live bait even the channel cats and smallies have no problem eating them.
Cut bait a 2 inch piece works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts