Live bait hooks

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jun 25, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    do some of you out there use live bait (3-5 inches ) for stripers ( 3-15 lb )

what is your favorite hook???? mine personally is a #2 treble cause i have braid on all poles so the hookups are 99% positive....i also keep all the ones i catch so thats my reasoning over the treble controversy...

so what is your favorite hook??????

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would just use bass hooks, no treble hooks.

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    the ones you put into jigs?????

i havent used a lure in 8 years

4. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    #2 khale, ive tried the trebles but seem to have a higher hook-up rate with the khales. also you can let the rod loadup or you can rip lips

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    You can use those too Leroy!

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

are you talking about # 2 kahles or 2/0 kahles .... i get confused by what people call them buy

7. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    #2, the smallest hook you can get away with, keeps the bait lively, stripers seem to prefer the more lively baits, alot of times i get bites right after putting on fresh bait. you can use J hooks and circle as well, i prefer to set the hook myself and ive missed alot of fish on J hooks so thats why i use khales.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

the very first time i fished for stripers using shad a real old guy showed us his rig.... you know the eagleclaw snells???? he uses the 2/0 baitkeepers and hooks them through the belly... the stiff mono makes the shad struggle and it can only swim in a circle...

now i make my own leaders and better rigs

9. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    you can also cut fins off for the circle effect, seems like hooking through the belly would kill the shad pretty fast maybe not though. have you tried chumming?

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WHEN ITS STRIPER SEASON I CATCH SHAD AROUND THE DOCK SO I GOT MY LITTLE FLOATING LIVEWELL I MADE SO UNLESS IM FISHING OFF A BOAT OR CANOE ( WHICH I WANT TO GET) I DONT CHUM....

BUT I DO SOMETIMES STRIPER FISH DURING THE SUMMER AND USE ANCHOVIES.... MABY LIKE TWICE A SUMMER