Live bait hiding?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by shortbus, Sep 13, 2005.

1. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I fish in a river that has tons of large boulders and small rocks creating tons of small places for a bluegill to hide. I catch all of my bluegills in riprap and they are all tucked way up underneath the rocks hiding. How can I go about keeping the gill from hiding in these places in the river? I know which ones are hiding because the pole and line will be dead still and others are making little jerks like crazy on the line trying to hide.

I put one gill on the hook and pitched him out in the water so I could watch and see what he does and within a couple seconds he was well hidden way down in between the rocks, I couldn't even see him. How do I stop this? Maybe cut a fin or something?

2. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    do you fish from boat?.... are you fishing for bream?.....or baitfish?......baitfish for cats? try tieng the sinkers on first then the gills about 3 foot from the sinkers and yes cut alil tail off.....try useing a slip bobber also just above the rocks

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I'm fishing on the bank for flatheads and using live gills for bait. I can't use slip bobbers because I use 3 poles @ the same time. will cutting the tail keep them from getting in between rocks and hiding?

4. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    wiegth on the bottom and gill up from the weight short leader but I dont real in all the time I wait for the bite

5. Catfight

Catfight New Member

State:
    Summerfield N.C.
    I'm with Dave, try a 3 way swivel with a 2' leader of 8 to 10 lb. test on one side with your weight attached. On the other side attach a 1' leader of whatever lb. test you normally fish baited with your live gill. If your weight gets hung up you can break it off and save the rest of your rig. But your baitfish wont be able to get to the bottom. I love a good Catfight.

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Do you tightline with this rig? I just about have to freespool/clicker in this part of the river because I can't get a rod holder in the rocky ground, basically just have to lay all 3 poles against boulders. I see how your settup would work great with a tightline.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    ;)

Shortbus

I bank fish an Old torn down dam in the Ohio River for Flatheads. It is "snag city" and is all large rocks and slabs of large concrete. Yes I see the same thing you did and know that the bait COULD get between the STRUCTURE where a Mud Cat could not get to it. I use a very very long sinker line under the 3-way. It at times is up to 4 1/2 to 5 ft below the hook. When tight-lining it should keep the Gills out of the stucture better and they do also dance better. :confused: I use 10 ft surf rods is the only reason I can cast this set-up Shortbus.

At times I use a bobber above the 3-way where the Gill can not get the hook up passsed it, but only in little current. When doing this I put a few ft of slack in the line so the bobber can raise up some.

Hope this helps alittle and you are on the right track!

<><Baitkiller><>

8. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    There are some nice rod holder madefor areas like your talking about.
    Wish I knew where to find them so you could look at them,just have to search in the library.
    Loop

9. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    I set large rocks on the butt end of the rod or tie them to a cooler

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I was fishing somewhere and a guy actually had rod holders bolted to his cooler.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    For rod holders in the rocks:Try useing a 3 to 4 foot pieace of PVC plastic pipe, or longer if needed. They fit between the rip rap and rock cracks and also help to get your rod higher in the air.They work Great. Good Luck!

12. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    Hook them thru the eyes our poke their eyes out. This will prevent them from finding cover and make them swim more frantically.

13. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Dude, thats exactly what I was looking for!! I'll give it a try.