Live bait help?

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by beertools, May 4, 2009.

1. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    It is the time for flathead fishing in the south. I have never used live bait before. I heard those flatties are realy liking live brim. Are ya'll hooking them through the tail or mouth or are ya'll still using cut bait.What size and kind of hooks are yaw using, and how deep of water do I need to fish? Heck I need any info on how to get a big flathead!

2. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    hook him in backor lips or tail cut him up any way to get him on a hook very good flattie bait:crazy:

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    slack water or very little current hook them in the tail , in current i would hook them in the nose so the dont die as fast by the current pulling them back wards .

8/0 to 12/o should be good for most gills and perch .

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    we are still getting them on small 3" cut gills here. No takers on big live baits yet. I would keep using both live and cut for now then see what happens.

5. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    Thanks for the info. That means 3 poles now 1 live bait, 1 cut bait, and 1 on good old chicken liver. Got all cats covered and at my pole limit. Hope I can catch something!:big_smile:

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

Agreed 100%

7. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    pole limit? whats that?

8. bighoss

bighoss New Member

State:
    Thomson Georgia
    Are you bottom fishing or going to use a cork for your live bait.Around here the flats pretty much only bite on live bait.We hook just below the back fin behind the head.In heavy current we hook through the nose.

9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My thoughts exactley. Dont drown em with water going backwards through there gills.

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Bream are good but small spotted bass are a lot better. Big gizzard shad are the best.

I use 8/0 or 10/0 King Kahle hooks or maybe a 12/0 on a really big bait.

Don't forget bream and spots must be caught with a rod and reel to be legal bait.