LIVE BAIT FREEZER

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by goneflatheadin, Jun 12, 2009.

1. goneflatheadin

goneflatheadin New Member

State:
    cullman al
    I TOOK A OLD DEEP FREEZER 8' CUBIC FEET, AND FILLED IT WITH WATER , I HAD A SWIMMING POOL PUMP FROM THOSE CHEAP WAL-MART SWIMMING POOLS , I USE IT WITH A PEICE OF WIRE ON THE INTAKE HOSE , THE TOP HOSE I GOT ZIP-TIED TO THE LID OF THE FREEZER , THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO KEEP BAIT A LONG TIME, I HAVE KEEP 50 LIVE BREAM IN MY FREEZER IN 90 DEGREE HEAT FOR OVER A WEEK, MINE IS IN A BUILDING ,THAT IS NOT COOLED. I HAVE EVEN THRU MINNOMS IN THERE AND KEEP THEM ALIVE FOR OVER TWO WEEKS, THIS IS A GREAT INEXSPENSIVE WAY TO KEEP BAIT , THOUGHT MY BROTHERS MIGHT COULD USE THIS INFO....... WORKS FOR ME
    FREEZER $0
    PUMP $25.00
    FREEDOM FROM BUYING BAIT PRICELESS!!!!!!!!

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Good idea,and someones always getting rid of a freezer that don,t work!:wink:

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ill keep that in mind good plan, bro

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wes Welcome to the BOC, and thanks for sharing the good tip.

5. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    i did the same thing but i bought a mr bubbles 100 gallon air stone from cabelas and a big chest deep freezer from the local junkyard lol and i kept over 550 4-6 inch bluegils alive for over 2 weeks. just remember to change the water about once every 3 to 4 days. the deep freeze kept my water cool for about that many days. i agree it is nice to just catch bait 2 or 3 full days and then be able to just get some out everytime i wana go fishing.

6. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    thats a good idea and works good i've got a few friends that did the same thing, i'd like to make one for myself but that means cleaning all the crap out of the garage and sad to say that could take years lol

7. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    very interesting. what do you set the temp at on the deep freeze?

8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a container about he size of a old freezer that works great.I had a swimming pool pump on it but it went out.got a 150 gallon pump from the home depot and it works realy good.I have had gills in there for months and not one problem.

9. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    i dont actuallyturn the deep freeze on...the insulation alone in the deep freeze keeps the water cool

10. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    so you just close the lid and keep the pump going and the water stays cool enough...i see. how often you change the water...every three or four days?

11. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    yea about every 3 to 4 days and the water stays fairly cool

12. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for all the help, we've just about got ours built. We just found a leak in one of our tubes that leads to the pool pump, so had to replace it. Should be running by tonight...keep your fingers crossed!

13. goneflatheadin

State:
    cullman al
    How is it working justin ? Mine is still doing great, not loosing any bait and it has been very hot here in north alabama.

14. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My son has several of these inground ponds. You know the kind that usually has goldfish and plants and crap. Anyway, it has a pump, vegitation ie lilly pads, its about 3 ft by 3 ft and 2 ft deep. He just took the black thick plastic, dup and hole, dropped in the plastic, pump, water, plats etc and there you go. He never changes the water, just addes to it.
    Pretty cheap way to make one. and as an added bonus, the wife thinks it is a pretty little fountain pool, little does she know its a bait tank!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::cool2:

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats my project for this coming winter. I big bad ass freezer bait tank. Im gonna section it off in thirds. Perch, Bluegill, and Bullheads. Them darn bullheads will kill the other species, and the perch like to jump all the time. So the perch section will have a top of some sort to keep them from jumpin into the bullhead section. :smile2:

16. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wes,

It's finally working great! It's taken a lot of work and drilling new holes, but its working. We finally had to put a hole on the bottom for the water to drain out into the pump. We had to buy a new pool pump, well a new used pump, but its pumping great now. We threw some sodium tablets and some "Shiner Finer" in there and also put another of those cheap pumps from wal-mart in there. It's pumping great and is finally ready to hold our bait...i think :wink:.

Thanks for all the help!

17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats a good Idea. I am going to have to make me one or two of these things when i get home. So you say they will keep bait alive in 90 degree weather. I like the sounds of that. Thanks for sharing.

18. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I built one last week that is functional for now, but needs some more work. I have a pump running water into an old galvanized minnow can so the water shoots out all the holes and keeps it aerated, and another pump running to circulate the water. I have it outside in a shaded area by the garden so I can pump the water out when I need to change it. I think I am going to put in an 1/4" sprayer hose running out the drain and just let it run on the garden, then put a cattle water float in the freezer hooked to the garden hose so the water can constantly be changing. I will put a valve on the drain in case I need to shut it off. I have had 12 goldfish living in it since last Friday, but nothing else yet. Anyone tried an open system like this?

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like this idea.:wink:and the kicker is the wife thinking it's pretty.:cool2::wink: I may have to try this. Dig the hole with the tractor bucket and line it with heavy black plastic. Fountain pump for circulation. Sounds like a great idea.

20. goneflatheadin

State:
    cullman al
    hey justin I'm going to take pictures of mine and post it , glad to hear your's is doing good