Live Bait for Flathead catfish, what size?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by dano40, May 15, 2007.

1. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    I was just wondering what size of live bait everyone uses for big flatheads and how you rig them?

2. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i use a 3lb carp and hook'em between their dorsal fin and tail with a 9/0 circle sea hook hook enough meet so it dont rip itself off

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I like to use gills/perch 4-7 inches long, bullhead 6-10 inches and carp anything under 1 1/2 pounds. Just make sure the size of the hook is big enough to go through your bait and out the other side.

4. flathead man

flathead man New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use red horse suckers up to 28in and a 12/0 king cat kahle hook on 4oz of lead on a slip rig

5. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I don't remember the exact numbers but a friend caught a good flathead on a trot line that had a blue cat that was about a third his size undigested in his stomach and he still went for the perch on the trot line. This tells me that the bait size is not critical and that you allmost can't go too big.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    A lot of folks seem to say "the bigger the better," but for me a 5 to 7 inch sunfish is just right. Some say the bigger baits lead to bigger cats, but I've caught 50 pound flatheads on 5 inch sunfish, and 7 pounders on sunfish I could barely get my hand around.

I fish in river current, so I always hook them through the nose (in the mouth and out the top of the nose) so that if they stop swimming they are still facing into the current and don't drown. They live for a long time that way and stay lively. Also, this way the hook almost can't turn back into the bait (as I have had happen more than once when hooking in the back or the tail).

7. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like using 4 to 7 inch sunfish. Its hard to believe that you could use a 3 lb carp.:eek:oooh: But like what was said, you almost cant go to big.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Green perch 4-6" long. Mostly because that's what I can get. Don't care for goldfish, but will take some along incase I can't/don't have anything else. Caught that 48# flathead a week and a half ago on a tiny peice of cut shad. I fish for eaters though. An occasional biggun is just a bonus.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    5-7 inch bream, 10-12 inch bullhead, or 8-10 inch carp. make sure your hook point is exposed or you won't get anything! flatheads can get very big baits in their mouths, so you could probably go even bigger.

10. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I love to use palm sized sunfish. Red-earred sun, and green sunfish seem to be the most active on the hook. Regularlly I have one bait all night, and it kicks like it is fresh all night. Down here we also use waterdogs, if the bluegill bite is bad. The bigger the better is a key, I feel. And ALWAYS change your bait. IF your note bite within 30 min to an hour, CHANGE BAITS.

11. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have been lucky enough to tangle with some big fish here and there. i have caught them on ever thing from night crawlers to shrimp but a bluegill about the size of my hand works. the fun thing about useing big blue gills is when the clicker takes off....most of the time it's a big one.

12. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Most of the baitfish I use are under 10inches, not to say they cant be caught on larger baits, but thats what I have the most luck on.

13. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    bream about half the size of my hand, i also use jumbo shrimp when im looking for eater sized channel cats

14. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use bluegill and suckers in the 4-7 inch range, but have caught some good channels on smaller minnows.

15. lakatman

lakatman New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i use bluegills the size that most people eat hand sized or bigger

16. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Any panfish. A little smaller than hand size hooked just beneath the dorsal fin...

17. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Agree caught my big one on an average size gill caught a 5# flat on the biggest bluegill i ever fished with, he couldnt even fit it his mouth the bream was still on when i got him in, he(the 5 pounder) also bit me harder than any big one ive caught:lol: i releasd him because i believe he will make a monster one day, i would like to try a small eel to fish with but they are much to slimey. but i hook mine below dorsal, they seem to move more erratic and maybe attract more attention.

18. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Last night and tonight, i have seen bluegills bigger than your hand produce some nice runs but yet to see what screams the clicker.

19. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You got alot of good info on bait size already so I'll just give an example for you. I've caught shovels less than 2 lbs on baits almost as big as they are. So don't neglect to use large baits. I'm sure that this has happened to tons of BOC members.