Live Bait for blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by BKS72, Jul 13, 2007.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've found a couple of nice sandbars/flats to fish lately and was wondering about live bait. I like to run some live bait on the off-chance I'll luck into a flathead, but all of the stuff I've read on flats say shallow sandbar sets this time of year are pretty iffy since once the water heats up the flats are laying low in their brushpiles and snags.

Do you guys think I'm cutting my chances on blues by running live bait or no? I know blues will take live bait (one of the reasons I like to use it, the utility infielder of cat bait :big_smile:) just wondering if I'm better off sticking to cut bait on sandbar sets. I'm thinking live would be fine since a lot of rigs for cut are set up to simulate live, but wanted to get ya'lls take on it. Thanks!

Branden

2. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    I would say give it a shot. blues will grab a live bait almost as quick as a flathead so I dont think your hurting your chances.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I almost always have one live shad in the water, no matter where I'm fishing. Some of my biggest blues have come from live bait. If you're fishing 5 or 6 rods, using one for live bait shouldn't cut your chances too much.

But I want to know where you're finding sand bars to fish on! They're all gone up here around KC - I have 3 or 4 waypoints that were sandbars I used to beach the boat on and fish below, but the water is 10 or 15 ft deep there now...

4. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i dont think your hurting your chances at all using live bait.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    no matter how hot the water gets all fish have got to eat.when the sun goes down most bait fish go shallow to get away.put out your live bait if flatheads are in the area they will find it.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Marty, I've found a couple of nice ones just noodling around on the depth finder. I'm way over East of town between 291 ramp and Lexington. Shoot me a PM one of these days and we'll hit the river over my way. I'll just have to check you for pens and paper, hidden GPS devices, etc.....:wink:

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds good Branden - I usually put in at 291 and fish from Missouri City upstream. I'd like to hit the water with you sometime just to see how other folks fish. Have to warn you, though, I've got a photographic memory...

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    No problem, I've been putting in at Cooley Lake lately, only about an 11 mile run up to 291 from there, I ran up and fished the bridge pilings there the other day. I'm heading to Waverly this weekend, but I'll be out around Cooley next weekend if you want to meet up. No problem on the photographic memory, I'm usually out all night, you can have it during the day:big_smile: