Live bait fish care

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ncfowler, Sep 12, 2006.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    The other week I was watching OLN and came across a program on how to handle live bait fish, I never took much thought about it I net them and put them in the bait tank, Go figure, According to the program once the bait fish are netted , They should be put in floating holding pen and tranfer with a hand bait net in to the bait tank. not to over fill the tank with bait, and never handle until they are ready to be used. Ok for the last few weeks I been using a 5gl bucket to hold the bait and tranfering in to the livewell, Well to my admasement the shad are living longer and there is fewer scales and slime in the bait tank. I now have a portable floating holding pen on order. I use live shad and whole shad most of the time and found this tidbit of info to be helpful.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Jeff that is a good tip, I maybe trying, no I will be trying that one out.

3. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I learned that tip a few weeks ago from greggofish

but let me expound after catching the bait with your cast net,place the shad in a bucket...when caught the shad go into a sort of state of shock and poop and pee and shed their scales this is when the majority of the shad are killed. The shad actually pull(breath) in the shedding scales and the scales cut and clogged the gills and eventually chock them.

So once the shad have been placed in the bucket for about 30 seconds remove the shad by hand and place them in to the bait tank. Greg uses a water conditioner/bait conditioner in his tank... he was actually able to keep the little thread fin shad alive for about 10 hours on our trip, but has actually been able to keep shad alive for days in his bait tank...granted he does have a large blue water bait tank that circulates the water and separates the scales from the fish

hope this helps and Good luck!!!

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Thanks for the tip, now will shad kill other baitfish if you put them in the same tank?? Like bluegills, suckers, chubs??? IM always scared to put the shad in with anything else cause im afraid they will kill my other live bait???

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    as long as it's well aerated and there are not allot of toxins in the water mixing baits should be fine...they wont attack each other if that's what you mean....

We have even mixed shad, bluegill and eels together with out problems

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Sems I learn something new almost every time I lig on here. Thanks for the sharing guys. It's really appreciated.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the info.

8. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like some of you are dead on with your shad care. Ive been putting my shad into my livewell for about 10 minutes with pumps running before transfering them to my bait taink (Keep alive 30 gal) and they can live for many days if I keep on top of the filters. Also this method keeps the foam aka amonia down quite a bit. One more tip for you shad or herrin baiters, Keep frozen 2liters in your boat, put one in your tank to keep the temp 8 degrees cooler than surface temp your depthfinder reads. It keeps stress down and remember surface temp is not what you are fishing in, the lower you go with bait in water column it gets cooler.

9. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Thanks for all this new info, I'm glad I stoped on this thread. will be trying these new tricks on my next trip.

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Thanks For The Info.

11. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Nice tips. I'll definetly try them.

12. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the info.this site is awsome.

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    will this work for skipjacks as well , their the hardest to keep alive iv ever seen

14. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i mix shad and bluegill all the time. when the shad are dead the bluegill are still going

15. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Absolutely!!! For me I think thread fins are the hardest to keep alive because of their small size...their bodies react to the toxins (ammonia) much faster than any other bait....

The first time you ever put your bait (shad) into a bucket or holding tank before transferring them into your bait tank you will be amazed at the amount of poop and scales that build up so quickly....

thats what kills them so fast

Hope this helps good luck!!!!

16. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Good advicw on the handling of baitfish. I've got a 50 gallonn livewell and put shad, herring, bream and white perch in there together. They all stay alive well when I mix them, but I found out the hard way about putting goldfish in there with them. 6 small goldfish about 4 inches long killed everything in about 2 hours. I thought it was fluke so I done it again and the same thing happened and the water was nasty. I started keeping the goldfish separate and no more problems.

17. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for info i have never been able to keep my bait fish alive.

18. spinner cat

spinner cat New Member

State:
    hinesville,georgia
    :confused2: hey nc fowler,
    thats good info on bait keeping,espically since I just threw away about six bream I had for bait.I hav'nt quiet figured out how too keep bait alive for more than a day or so. I use a half of a 55 gal plastic drum with water spraying in the top,thats good for a day or so.I would like to try shad but dont know where to catch em.

19. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I know that keeping live bait for long term over a few day or even a week takes some special care. most problems are the development of toxic in the bait tank. i have made up a little rig that i'm trying out over the next few weeks, Like a filter system in a house hold fish tank it uses a mix of charcoal , limestone chips and a pond filter the water is taken from the bottom of my bait tank filter through the pond filter then goes into a 2" pvc tube with a clean out cap filled with the charcoal and limestone in a nylon sock ( don't tell my wife i took her nylons) exit using a airator and then returned to the tank. Ill let you all know how it works out.

20. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You guys are doing good with thr idea of filtration, you MUST have some sort of a filter system to keep bait alive for any given time. One thing you should consider is oxygen is depleated rapidly with any amount of fish iin a tank. The more fish the faster oxygen is depleated. This is why I went with a Keep Alive bait tank. It injects outside air directly into the water with very fine bubbles. They also sell a seperate kit for other tanks to inject air and circulate the water inside. Check them out @ Keepalive.net or com I forget witch one.