Live bait around St. Louis.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by ravenloft420, Apr 15, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    does anyone know where to get live bait around st louis/florissant/black jack/st charles??

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Depend s on what your wanting for live bait.
    Don't know nothing about the other areas but I do know there is a bait shop just North of highway 64 off of 94. get off 94 coming from the east ,soon as you get on 94 look to your left you'll see a building down off a side road thats the bait shop.Don't recall the name.94 Bait Shop something like that.Thats the only one I know of off hand. Good Luck.

3. musky76

musky76 New Member

State:
    il
    get some night crawlers and catch your bait thats what i do just go to any pond and catch bluegills they work well.if u can catch suckers they r the best live bait :tounge_out:

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Not sure about those locations, I live south a bit. I get mine from either Denny Dennis Sporting Goods, in Fenton, or at the old Chip-a-way lake on 21 at Meremac River.
    I had some rod work done at Paul's Bait Shop once about 6 years ago or so. While there, I noticed they had goldfish for sale. I thought $10 wasn't too bad till I found out that wasn't for a dozen, it was $10 apiece!

5. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you are ever in St. Peters I reccomend stoping by Mike's Bait and Tackle. It is located at 16 Main Street in St. Peters. The phone number is 636-279-1093. Despite only being a little over 1000 sqft in size I can spend hours in this place. Mike is ever present behind the counter and is a bounty of knowledge and doesn't mind sharing it. Additionally, you can count on a handfull of old-timers hanging around shooting the bull as well. It is just the kind of place where everyone pulls up a chair and talks about fishing and hunting. You can really learn something if you stick around a bit and listen (kind of like this place). Mike doesn't have a huge selection but he does have EVERYTHING you will need--including live bait at a reasonable price.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Any of your small tributaries that empty into the Missouri and/or Mississippi Rivers are loaded with gizzard and threadfin shads right now. If you cant get them in your nets by the bank, throw into the creek channels. I've been finding them pretty easily.

7. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I have a question regarding bait......

I have a pond where I live that is full of Bluegill, none seem to be very big, but they are nice size for bait. When fishing for flatheads in the summer I usually go down there and catch a dozen or so and head to the river. My question is if I catch them now and want to freeze them for cut bait, but don't have a vacuum sealer will they be Ok if I freeze them in water or should I do anything to them?

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've never heard of blue gill being used for cut bait, but hey you never know! I know that they are considered the crem de le crem of bait for flatheads but usually I think the flatty's prefer them to be alive...I could be wrong though as I don't normally go after the flatheads unless I'm up at Mark Twain Lake.

9. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Mike, if the pond is on your property or you have easy access to it I would just go the night before and catch a bunch. Then they are fresh and you have the option of fishing live or cut. I have used cut bluegill in ponds with a lot of success. But I always caught them at the pond I was going to fish. You could either make you a live box to keep them in the pond or get a tub. Dont use city water though. It will kill them.

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thanks Bob for the advise and as I said in my post I do go down before heading to the river. But, I like to head out sometimes right after work and it would be nice to grab a bag of frozen cut bait and head out the door. So, what I was asking was would the cut up Blue Gill be any good if I froze it and would it help if I froze it in water?

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I drove by a catfishing shop yesterday, on old Hwy 21. It's right off of M. They had a live bait sign out front. It's right next door to Mathes Sporting goods. I think it's called the Catfish Corner, or something like that. You might give em a call and see what they got?:roll_eyes: I would've stopped, but they were closed when I drove by. I use gold fish up at Mark Twain, and you can get a dozen of 6-8 inchers for 7 bucks a dozen. I don't know what the going rate down here is. I just usually go down to the creek down the road from my house and catch a couple dozen bluegill. They work good too.

12. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fresh is the way to go. I have some with goldfish in my 2 little ponds off my deck. I like to buy the little feeder gold fish for 10 cents at the pet stores and let em grow.. Otherwise, They are best just to keep on ice if you can. Otherwise just throw them in a baggy, pull out the air as much as you can and freeze that way.