Live bait and flathead

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by boozer, Jul 9, 2007.

1. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    This guy I work with seems to think that flathead will descale baitfish before they eat it, the only times my baitfish has been descaled in when i get in to big of a hurry and rip it from there mouth. I told him I think he's wacko what do you all think? Maybe im wrong, who knows I cant seem to see them to well when they take my bait.

:confuse:

2. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I have never had any descaled

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I wonder how the Flathead holds the fish scaler and where he/she bought it???:smile2:

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can't say for sure that it was flathead, but I have had fish dink around with my bait, and have all the scales sucked off when I reeled it in. I was fishing for flathead, but can varify that is what it was.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i knew an old guide once who would swear up and down that a striper would suck in a bait and spit it out to scale it several times before finally eating it. i have never seen it myself, and he was the only one i have ever heard of saying it, and i think that a flatthead doesnt get a big as it does by being picky about what it eats. i think it will eat pretty much any live shad/gill/perch without having to worry about the scales.

6. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I`ve had hits and miss with the hook sets while fishing for cats.When i reel them in,i can see where the Flats or Channels mouth left its imprint on the bluegills body.That part has some scales missing from the sandpaper-like teeth they have.I dont think they scaled the fish on purpose,i think the scales came off when i tried setting the hook and it came out of their mouth or when they would take the bait,hold it in their mouth and drop it.

7. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    Good I'll keep letting him now he's wacko then. lol.

8. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I have fished for flatheads for many years and have never heard of that.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I caught one tonight that still had the bait in its mouth. It still had scales but it wasn't flopping around like it was when I cast it out. I did miss a couple of good bites that might have been just licking the scales off?????

10. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hi Mike,That is so crazy and so NOT true.:roll_eyes::eek:oooh:

11. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Years ago (before my catfish salvation) I was drifting a live waterdog for walleye. I missed a strong hit, and reeled in a waterdog that had been skinned from the head back.To this day I am convinced that I yanked that dawg through the lips of a big ol' flathead. When you miss 'em--you can call 'em anything you want.

12. reg1973

reg1973 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can't say that I have ever had one descaled either....

13. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've had several bream that were missing alot of scales. I am usually using them for large flathead but figured maybe some small channels were trying to take them and they couldn't swallow them??? The mystery continues...:smile2:

mike

14. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I was thinking the same thing! :smile2::smile2:

15. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    It's not a fish scaler. it's a crusher plate in the back of it's mouth.just for some fun the next one you catch stick your hand down it's throat and pull out his supper. this isn't a personal attack so please don't take it as one. just some wierd humor. I did it once!! never again bro! I saw the tail of a redbreast sticking out of the back of the throat of the 25 pounder I just caught and stuck my hand in and grabbed it. after much screaming hollering and dancing in the back of that johnboat I retrieved what was left of my hand and what was left of the redbreast. and guess what. there was almost no hide left on my hand and very few scales on the redbreast. so I would say he does scale fish and man with the same enthusiasm.

16. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i can say that i have had live bluegill get hit really hard, set the hook and have nothin come back but the luegill. the bluegill had been crushid and it was missing a majority of its scales. thats why now i will scrape all of the scales off of my bluegill before i use them for bait.

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well please post this guides name so I dont never get stuck with him for a day LOL Im a life long striper fisherman and I can say with total confidence that this is not true. There is no warning when a striper hit a baitfish of any kind; grab and go is the way they do it. Only time a striper gives anything less is when fishing clams or sandworms

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OK, here's my 2 cents worth -

Stripers will deffinately whack a bait several times before eating it. I don't know why, but I doubt it is to scale it. I've watched a striper smack a shad 4 or 5 times as it floated down the river, and then finally just sip it off the surface.

I firmly believe that live baits that have been crushed or scaled weren't done by flatheads. They were probably hit by a channel cat, small blue, or something else. The couple of times I have brought in a flathead with the bait still in it's mouth (or still on the line), the bait still had all of its scales, was not crushed and was still alive! I believe that the flatheads have such a big mouth that they just suck the bait right in and then swallow it when they are ready. Now, this is all based on sunfish, with a big bait like a decent sized carp things might be a bit different. I have seen big flatheads a couple of times with the tails of 2 to 4 pound blue cats in their throats poking out of their stomachs. A fish like that would take a bit more chomping and all to swallow.

19. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm not saying a cat did it or not, but I'm sure plenty of you have had your hand in a ol cats mouth!! I know for a fact a bass will do it!! And a bass's ol sandpaper mouth isnt no different than a cat's.

20. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've never heard that .