Little tackle for the Big fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Aug 5, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Has anyone ever thought of trying light tackle for big fish? i have been throwing the thought around for a while now. im not nessesary talking about vertical jigging etc. im saying light line small action rod and little reel, just to test your ability of landing a decent sized to large cat.. might be a fun contest to see what you can land! so tell your story and post your pics. well see how this one goes!!! rollo:smile2::roll_eyes:

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    this ought to be rite up ericm s alley.hes an ultralite nut.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree. He will probably pull out his Pink Zebco 202. Should be and interesting story.

4. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would be more concerned with the added jewelry for the unsuspecting participants...the cats...light tackle, and smallish rod and reel setups was what got me interested in figuring out what I was doing wrong. Lost too many right at the point of landing them, when the line broke and added to the lip piercings of one too many cats.
    I would imagine that bigger cats could be landed with lighter tackle...by someone with more experience fighting them than I have...I guess the person doing the fighting, having advanced knowledge of the fish's behavior would have a better chance of getting it to surrender with lighter equipment. I would be interested to hear the stories too.
    :big_smile:
    Phil

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Light tackle means a loooooooong fight with a big fish. Long fights are killers for big fish because of the amount of stress they endure during the fight. I am a catch and release type person and will not ever intentionally go after a big fish on sub level gear. My theory is get them in quick and get them back in the water as soon as possible.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dreadnaught is right, we outta consider the added effects of a longer fight. from what i have seen most fish do fine if taken from the hook and placed back immediately!! i think a fish caught and released right away should be fine though. be smart and have fun with this rollo:big_smile:

7. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    That'd be one looong fight! Take a few spools of line with you:wink: JW's got a good point, too. The longer the fight, the more tired the fish. Let us know how it goes if you try it.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anytime you remove a fish from his or her inviroment immediately there is stress. trust me! i have saw many 30lb. plus fish caught light line rod and reel that have been fine. just thought this would be a fun thread not one to promote the dead.. you guys know how i feel...cpr!!! rollo

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I did not mean to start anything! Just an obsevation. I have always wanted to tackle a 30+lb flathead on a flyrod, now that is gonna be a fight if it ever comes to pass, LOL!!!

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Your always the troublemaker on the board arent you...LMAO:tounge_out:

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    WHO...ME??? Never, LOL!!! Really..I didn't mean to this time...Honest Injun!!!

12. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Always stirring something up...:big_smile:

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    My PB, the one in my Avatar (32lbs) was caught on my bait rod (5'5" 2 pc with a small shimano spinning reel) with approx 125 yds of 6 lb mono. Luckily for me, it was at Salt Fork in JW bay (members only) and there is very little structure to cause grief.

14. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yeha i know what yall are saying, sounds like so much fun to catch a big ol fish on light line, in fact my 3 biggest fish where all caught while fishing for bait on a reel the fits in my hand and a rod that is 5'0" with 4ib test, but i too also wanna catch them purposly on light tackle, sounds like alot of fun!

15. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    last year i tried this but the idea quikly faded away.. i spooled my biggest reel a shimano corvalus with 8 pound cajun and hooked up with prob a 20 pound flat, after prob 20 min. got a look at him and then he made a hard run and wrapped my line around the only stump within 50 yards.. so back to my big game in 40.. im happy.. if you are going to try this i would suggest trying from a boat and make sure you know the structure present in the area.. good luck if your crazy enough to try..!

16. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I've hooked several on my crappie rods but always lost the big ones with the line breaking or I just didn't have them hooked good. I always release the ones above 5 or 6 lbs anyway but sure like to boat the big one just to say I have.
    Bill

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i bet theres gonna be some equipment destroyed in this one!!! im not responsible for lost or broken outfits! lol...rollo:smile2:

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree w/ you man. It's one thing to catch gills and crappie on ultra lights but it will hurt cats and increse their fatality rate. I love using my ul's for baitfishing though. Sometimes you can't beat a couple hours of ultra light fishing!

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    although it can be done...prepare yourself for a lot of short comings, especially if a monster flathead gets on. SNAP !!!

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yep, and I don't want to become a jewelry store for those monsters either....they don't give tackle away these days, LOL!!!