little smokies?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by grandrvr, May 22, 2008.

1. grandrvr

grandrvr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hi everyone!! This is my first post and have been reading yours for awhile. Very impressed with everyone and the info!!! This weekend I am heading to Truman lake (Missouri) and thinking about little smokies for bait if I can not locate any shad with the throw net. What is your thoughts on the smokies and open for suggestions!!!

2. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Welcome Grandrvr to the BOC,,,,,,,,Eat those suckers and find other baits!!! I love them things and I believe they are/will be the thing that kills me.:smile2:

I relly don't think it would make very good bait but I'm sure something may hit it. I would try chicken livers before smokies.

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Paul. I'd have to agree with headhunter. Best bet would be shad.

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    what about shrimp,stinkbait,bluegills or goldfish ?

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Don't know about little smokies, should work. I have good luck with just plain hot dogs.

6. grandrvr

grandrvr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks guys and maybe I should hunt hard for some shad!!!!!

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yeah, I would find some other bait. Little smokies with barbeque sauce is great. I would find some shad or live bait to try. GOOD LUCK:wink:

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    One thing about little smokies, if the fishing doesn't work out you can always eat your bait. Don't try that with shad :smile2:

9. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    if you must use bait like that use hot dogs first eat the smokies second :wink: rick

10. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky
    I was told by a friend that they work if you cut them in half and use both halves otherwise the skin prevents the smell of the fat in them from getting out fast enough to attract the fish, but I still just eat them.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all Welcome To the BOC/SOC.
    Second if your going to Truman Lake this weekend before you go to the lakeon ,highway 7 just before you get to the lake if your coming off of 65 that is ,there is a Casey store on your left. ,turn there to the left, go past it two blocks ,turn right ,go down to the river and throw your net. i got some 6" shad there last weekend without much trouble. Blues was hitting real good last weekend at the Mo. Garthering. Eat the sausage and if nothing else get you some cheap shrimp for bait. Best of luck what ever you use .Have Fun and just be CAREFUL!!

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC. ><[[[[ยบ>