Little rock trip

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by slimcat, Jul 16, 2006.

1. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I was thinking of making a trip down to little rock. I have heard of some good flatheads caught in that area and was wondering what the fishing was like down below the dam and down the river. How deep are the holes and does the river contain any wood structure or is it basically like the mississippi with all the wingdams? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The Arkansas has some backwater with cover ,but it is mostly sand bars, rock rip rap and rock wingdams. If it's Flatheads you are looking for. My suggestions are from David D Terry Lock and Dam down stream to Dam #2. There was a 139 lber caught below David D Terry years ago.Then above Dardenelle Lake to around Ozark upstream. A lot of locals use snag lines up in the Ozark area . They catch 40 to over 60 lbers regularly. Good Luck. Let us know how you do.

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Nimrod, yes flatheads are what I am after. I hear of some dandys down there. 40's to 60's are not what I am after though. I hear there are some really good fish in there and would like to try it first hand. What is the current speed on the river with the dams, is there much current coming off the tip of those dikes. Are there any mud banks on outside bends or are they all riprapped like the mighty mississippi?

4. r_corter12

r_corter12 New Member

State:
    Carlisle,AR
    i fished below terry fri night,right now there isnt hardly any current and it probably stay that way till we get a lot of rain or rain up stream

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Slimcat, The Arkansas River ain't got much current now. You can check the flow here
    http://www.swl-wc.usace.army.mil/Upper_Arkansas_page.htm

If it's flats you're after I would recommend the White River. I have heard about some good fishing down around DeValls Bluff but I've not fished down there yet. I think the White always has some current?

Here is some info on the White
    http://www.swl-wc.usace.army.mil/WCDS/Reports/Daily/White.htm

http://www.swl-wc.usace.army.mil/Uncontrolled_middle_white_page.htm

ST

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    What type of river is the white? Does it have good structure?

7. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Slimcat, Yeah you bet ya. It looks a whole lot like the river in the video of DH outtakes and the one of Paul in his new boat. There will be some guys on in a little while that can tell you better than I can and I bet some will have some pictures. In my opinion it is head and shoulders above the Arkansas as far as woody structure goes.

ST

8. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Thanks Seedtick, I have heard of a few monster yellowcats coming from the White but I have also heard it is over harvested. I would really like to see some pics of the white.