Little River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rocky357, Jun 2, 2009.

1. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    Anyone do any fishing down at the little River or the coast near Myrtle beach? I'm thinking about taking my boat down and trying the area and thought I would ask if there's some good fishing down that way.

Thanks for your help

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    There's a real nice public landing on the fresh water dividing line between Little River and Cherry Grove. You can hit the intracoastal and head north, and fish the jettys out of Little River. As mentioned, it just depends on what you want to fish for.

Bill in SC

3. rocky357

rocky357 New Member

State:
    Belmont, NC
    Sorry I've taken so long to get back with you fellas. I really don't know what they've got down there, so i would like to fish for whatever's biting.was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Sharks....Redfish...Flounder??? etc..

Bill,
    I didn't know they had a launch that close to where I'm staying. I read in the SC sportsman that flounder were biting good up in the river. It also said fish were hitting good close to the surf.

I thought about just either drifting or anchoring in the river with cut bait much the same way we fish for cats. Or heading out along the coast and trying to find pods of baitfish and cast either live bait or plugs into them? Do you think that may work? Not sure what baits work best in a salt water situation. I was just going to grab some from a local bait store and head out! I also wouldn't mind fishing for sharks.

One other question I have. Should I get the map chip from Navionics for that coastal area? Don't want to hit anything out there and I thought it may help me find some areas to fish.

Thanks for you advice.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, the ramp is right under the bridge that goes over the intracoastal between CG and LR. A couple of miles north of the ramp, the intracoastal branches off to the right, to access the jettys and into the ocean. There's good fishin' around the jettys, and in the flats adjacent to the jettys. Flounder fishin' is good there. You can tie up your boat on the sandy area right before the rocks of the jettys. We usually just throw out an anchor and leave enough line out to keep the boat floating so an outgoing tide doesn't leave your boat beached. Most folks use a cast net and catch mud minnows to use for bait for various species of fish. You can walk up and down the sandy shoreline inside the jettys and find the mud minnows, or walk across the dunes to surf fish the ocean and walk the beach. Good luck and keep us posted. I don't think the navionics map is necessary as there isn't much to hit out there. You just have to be careful in the shallows, and pay attention to the tides.

Bill in SC

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Chad just remember that is the state line between N.C. & S.C just make sure u r legal if u get checked by either one's Marine Fisheries Officers, been there done that ,but i was ok :eek:oooh::wink:

also heard they r catching some spanish in close on clark spoons trolling look for the birds ,also if calm check around cans in inlet ;an if it is still there the tripod marker on north side of jetty,u might find u a cobia around them

6. InletFool

InletFool New Member

State:
    SC
    Good shark fishing outside the jeddis. Drift or anchor with live or cut mullet.
    Reds will be around the jeddi. Cut mullet or shrimp works great.
    Flounder hitting good back in the creeks on mullet or mud minnows.
    Black drum also in the creeks, shrimp does well.

Inletfool Mitch
    www.RiversTurkeyCalls.net