little river and white cliffs?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by massa_jorge, Sep 3, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    buddy is taking me squirrel hunting there in october. i have never fished this area, but we will be camping for 5 days and doing a lot of fishing too. they mainly run setlines of various types, but i want to r&r fish. should i take heavier rods and reels or light medium? i fish ambassadeurs almost totally, and have any size needed. buddy says they catch a lot of channels, but there's blues and some flatties too. i am going to take a castnet to see if there's any shad there and a bunch of cut carp in case i can't find bait there. i don't know if october is too late for the flatheads, but i am going to give it hell anyway! thanks for any help.

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    that part of little river has some 30 ft water although i have never fished it for catfish the crappie fishing in that area is good.
    i'm sure that the bluecat and flathead fishing there should be pretty good too. the shad base in little river is questionable but if u take a light weight rod and some worms and crickets u should be able to catch some fresh perch.
    i have been wanting to drift that part of the river for big blues if i could catch the current right. good luck on your trip.
    where u from in texas-----i live in texarkana

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'm in amarillo, but i am from the dallas area. been trapped up here for 10 years now! my buddy says there's a bunch of perch there, i aim to fry some up during the trip, and hopefully some crappie. i am going to do a little carp fishing here before i go so i have a good supply of cutbait in case i can't find any. he says they use cut buffalo on their setlines and do real well- carp should work good too. i can also catch a bunch of gizzard shad here. we aren't going to be far from texarkana. all i know is we'll be staying in a camper for the five days when we are not fishing or hunting. i don't expect to sleep much. thanks for the reply!

4. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Haven't fished it yet but my wife and I rode up there a coule months ago and it looked like it would be a good place to fish. I'm from Jefferson. It's about 55 miles south of texarkana. Hope you have a good trip. Let us know how it goes.

5. mopar

mopar New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I used to crappie fish there. you can put in at the ramp at white cliffs and go up the river best i remember about 1 mile or so and be looking for a slough that goes to the left. go up it for a little ways and it opens up into a nice little lake called mcguire lake. used to have some great crappie fishing in it. also caught lots of channels while crappie fishing.

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    let me know when you come to white cliffs and i'll come up for a visit. only about 50 miles from me.