LITTLE PROBLEM WITH CIRCLE HOOKS

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well heres the deal, i have just started using circle hooks in the past few months. So far i like them a lot, and i have had fairly good hook up rates with them. however when ever my hook up rate is good, the fish are striking the bait fairly aggressively, setting the hook on them self. the last two trips that i have had hook ups on i have lost fish with the circle hooks, fish that i know had i been using J hooks i would have hooked. the fish would be on a slow but steady run, i would easily pick up the rod holding it up and start reeling. i would feel the fish on, begin the fight. then i would feel them shake their head, the line would get easy to reel in then the slack would pick up and fish on again but then it would get off after a short fight there after. almost like i barely had the hook in the fish, but not past the barb. i dont really know what to do about this, or what the problem is with my hook setting. i talked to a buddy of mine on the way home and he says that when i feel the fish start to shake its head, to kindly give it a good pull on the rod to bairy the hook in deep. sounds like sound advice to me, but what do you all think. is there more i can do or is that the sole fix.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I agree with your buddy. When I use them, I wait until the rod loads good and them I give it a good pull. I don't jerk, just a strong pull. I'm still learning how to use the circle hooks. Guys that have used them for a long time may have better ways to set the hook.

When I first started using circle hooks I jerked almost everytime until I started using rod holders.

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    What seems to work for me is. I'll let the rod load up, then I'll count 1 second, then pick the rod up and start reeling. Sometimes the fish might just have a piece of the bait and not the whole bait in their mouth. this could explain the missed hookups.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    normally i would agree with that, however i fought the fish for to long for that to be true this time. i even had the one run from straight to the side.

im def going to start giving them a good pull to help set the hook...

5. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i like to set back and wait till the rods are touching the water before i touch them. VERY hard to do but it lets them bury that hook deep then a long slow pull with steady pressure without hosing em to much till i know the hook is in there

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I usually reel down on them before picking the rod out of the rod holder. Guess you could say I'm helping the fish load the rod. Afterwards i will some time insure my hookup with a sweep not a jerk.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i miss fish all the time like this with my circle hooks ;( maybe if i put a twist in em..mine are straight..what are you using?

8. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    GAMA 6/0 and 8/0 Offset Circle Hook

9. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I think you might just be having a string of bad luck. Since my switch a couple years ago I have had way better connections with the circle hooks. I wait for the rod to load and give it a nice strong hookset not a crazed jerk a rod just a solid motion. Everybody misses fish once and a while.

10. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    just switch hooks to a j-hook,problem solved. I know alot of guys swear by the circle hooks,I prefer to swear at them. A j-hook is just more productive to my style of fishing.

11. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have got loads of J hooks Gama 5/0-10/0, i keep them around for those days when i wanna cross some eyes, thats all i used for years. Im sold on the circles though, if for no other reason because i want to learn how to use them...

12. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tr the Team Cafish double actions circles. I set the hook with them all the time. I don't jerk like hell. I simply wait as long as I can, and then lean back on the fish creating a lot of pressure. If they hook themself great but they wont always do that. You can reel down on these hooks also. Try them out. You will not be dissapointed.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Go to Khales.....Can't go wrong with them. You can let the fish hook themselves or jerk. Thats all I use and have excellent hook up rates. 99% of the time If I hook it with a Khale it doesn't come out, its even hard to get the hook back out.
    I just don't understand circle hooks,,:confused2:,,that seems it takes all the fun out of fishing. Setting the hook is the fun part...:cool2:

14. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well said!!!!! that is what i use..i have found that most folk's missing fish with circles are not fishing with their bait cut into chunks..rectangles you know:eek:oooh::tounge_out: the tip to the shank MUST be clear or they wont work..chunk the bait or hook it 1 time only through the bait if ya dont cut it...gotta be clear:cool2:

15. catdaddychad

catdaddychad New Member

State:
    indiana
    I miss more fish or should i say loose more fish with circle hooks. get em half way to the boat and they spit the hook. I prefer a good kahle hook. hardley ever miss.

16. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    J, had the same problem fishing for channels last week. The guy with me was telling me to give them a good yank but I had seen some of them just hooked by the skin on the outside of the jaw bone so I didn't think yanking would help. Braid really stresses that light hookup. I think lighter tackle would help and mono would too. The water's cold and the fish just act differently. They would bend my medium pole but not that hard.

I think it's maybe the time to try some smaller long shanked hooks and light gear because that always works. Even circles on a real light action pole can work well when the heavier poles won't.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jeremy, I fish circle hooks 100 percent of the time and I have for years, for flatheads and channel cats...I dont start reeling untill I know the fish has hooked itself, when they are not hitting hard I will just leave my rod in the holder untill I know they are hooked, or just picked it up and hold it, may take a minute or two if the fish are not aggressive.