Little Pee Dee River 5-17-08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by SWAMPRAT, May 18, 2008.

1. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    went fishing on little pee dee saturday night, didnt get to start fishing till almost 10:00 that night b/c we took 2 seperate boats to the river and my buddy's wouldnt stay running so he finally got in the boat with me and my wife. we got to my first hole and right off the bat we started getting bites but nothing would hold on to it. the bites slowed down so we moved to my honey hole where i caught 4 flatheads in one night by myself last year and started getting a couple of bites on live bream, my wife's pole bent double so she got it and started reeling it in and she couldnt even turn the handle on the reel. it didnt last but about 10 seconds and he broke the leader. all of my leaders are 30# test and when she got it reeled in the fish stretched the eyes on the swivel flat.... i dont know how big he was but im guessing he was probably over 30 or 40 pounds to tear everything up like that.. we fished a little while longer and got a few more decent bites but nothing that would hold on to it long enough for the circle hook to set it self.. we finally left at about 1:00 sunday morning empty handed. but we still had fun anyways

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like a great time had by you folks. I guess your next move would be to do what I did and switch to 50# leaders and Power Pro braided line! :)
    BB in SC

3. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i've got to change something b/c that is 2 fish that we have lost in the same hole that has broke my line. the one i lost there last year broke my line and about 3 inches off the tip of my rod. the line i am using now is berkley big game and that is the only time i have had any problems out of it. i thought about going to 80# main line if i can find a decent diameter line. i dont anything on my reel as big as my anchor rope, and im definitely changing to 50# leaders

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use 100# Power Pro, and it is about 20# diameter mono size. I always used Berkley Big Game line, and it took me a while to take the plunge. The confidence this line gives is worth it's price. Don't even think twice about switching. I GUARANTEE that you will be satisfied. Just remember to spool your reel with mono UNDER the braided. This keeps the braided from spinning on the spool. I fill my reels with about half mono and half braided. I do, however, still use 6'6" medium heavy Berkley Big Game rods. They suit my river needs perfectly and inexpensively.
    BB in SC

5. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks mr bill. looks like i need to make a trip to bass pro soon!