Little Nemaha river in Nebraksa - Report

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by TA2D, May 18, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Monday and Tuesday I went out on the Little Nemaha to the old Bracken Bridge area (a bridge that washed out in '93). Some good structure has been sent downstream. Monday was only there for about an hour caught one gar in the first five minutes and that was it! Fast Forward 24 hours, first cast ,minnows for bait, no sooner than the bait hit the water *BAM* intense rip the rod out of your hands hit (probaly cause I wasn't expecting it) set the hook and up comes a nice eater channel around 2 lbs. So I rebait cast out and start getting my other poles ready, get No. 2 out and both rods are going bananas set the hooks and get one hook-up and a miss, reel in and have a gar 3-4lbs. who soon met his demise, get both set out again sittin' back lightin up a smoke and double hit again. Set the hooks and miss one again, the other line I had a double hook up lost the second hook when the mystery fish snagged up, I still had one on there and wasn't gonna lose him, no way no how! So I emptied my pockets of all the essentials: wallet, smokes, lighter, cell phone, camera.... wade out till the ol' man-bag is in the water (by the way it was a bit nippy out... there may have been some shrinkage involved!) and what have I hooked another damn gar, about the same as the other 3-4 lbs. So as I drip my way back to my gear, I bait up and cast out with crawlers, cause that's all I have left cast out and actually get to finish my cigarette before I get another hit, set the hook... this is gonna be a good one I can feel it... Get it close and another damn gar @#$#@#$$#er's, this one ran close to 8lbs I would guess, almost a foot longer than the other two. After that nothing wanted anything to do with the crawlers! I was getting hits from the channels and the gar, it was just so hot and heavy that I could not keep up!

Aaron

TA2D

2. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Looks like a pretty good day bro. What is it with you and allways finding a way into the river, whether on purpose or accident?

Anyways, August can't get here soon enough, but when it does I'll be back home. :smile2:

Later
    Suds

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Well, the minnow traps are out, crawlers are still kickin or squirmin', the Jeep is packed, all I have to do is change clothes grab my phone and camera, and I will be on the water by no later than 0730 tommorow morning. With the rising temps and a while without rain should be good, hopefully the gar aren't biting as bad.

Aaron

TA2D

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Good luck bro. I'll give you a call. Later

Suds

5. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Any luck after switching spots?

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Well, I ran into an ol' timer who had caught a 50lb flathead yesterday. He took me down to one of his favorite spots, I caught one nice channel 2-3 lbs, hooked into two nice blues around 5 lbs, a couple small gar. I might be heading out there later this week.

Aaron

TA2D

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Tried again tonight and got skunked.... but for good cause I went out with 7 chubs and a crawfish, the bite was so light that I couldn't tell until it was too late! I did have one that didnt get snagged, that broke my 12lb test like it was a piece of string! I set two bank lines with 225lb main lines with 50lb leaders. The area I was fishing is the outside of a curve on the river with little to no current, I think that it is a flat with a channel running about mid-river, threw my lines on where I think that the flat may be, will post results in the morning!!!

Aaron

TA2D

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Keep up the good work bro. You're going to hook into something big before I get back. Make sure and take pictures to make me want to come home sooner. Later

SudDawg

9. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Checked my lines yesterday and the 50lb line was snapped clean! I could tell that it was snapped because the line recoiled back to the bank, when I threw them out they were tight... "I think we need a bigger boat..."

Aaron

TA2D

10. suddawg

suddawg New Member

You've found General Sherman!

Suds