Little mussels for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by SeedTick, Aug 14, 2006.

1. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Brethren, Gordhawk asked a question about using clams for bait and instead of hijacking his thread I just started another one about mussels.
    I have cleaned catfish caught on the Arkansas River that rattled like a sack of marbles. They were full of little mussels. One day I hung up on a limb and broke it off and got it in the boat and it had a couple of those little mussels (zebra?) on it. I tried to open them up and I found out that their shells were as fragile as an egg shell.

Has anyone tried them? Did they work? How did you hook them? Any thoughts welcomed. Thanks.

ST

2. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    we cant use muscle were i live but i do know one thing when you catch acouple of cats and get them in the boat and they starts to crap white stuff ,they have been eating zebra muscles. then i will key in on ereas that i know have zebra muscles using shad or gold eye

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    In our state too they are technically illegal to use as well (esp zebras... they want you to kill them suckers...smash them all to bits)... or even possess at all...But as far as using bait with them... if you find them in a mussel bed, Jason's right throw a piece of cut bait at them... its not easy for them to resist that... esp. if its a piece of shad, gil or white perch around here...