Little miami story

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Ravensmavsfan, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I was fishing the little miami river this morning beside a large feeder creek, and with a larger rift about 80 ft in front of me.

I was drift fishing with night crawlers hope'in to catch a large channel or bass.
    About 10 feet before the bobber would met the rift, a large splash occured and the bobber went down. I pulled up and the fish swam to the right of me (which as upstream) for about 10 seconds. Then i reeled him in about 8 ft of shore, but was using 10 pound line and a cheap pole with a bad drag system that didn't eork effectively. The line broke as the fish gave a last hard pull that jerked the pole so hard it created a whiplash that struck my head. I've only been fishing for 1 year and a half, but that was easily the largest fish i've ever fought. Next saturday i'll bring my good poles wit 25 pound line.

My questions is what was it. The water was murky so i couldn't get good look at it. It was caught on a night crawler at about 11:00 in the morning so i doubt it was a flathead. It was way too strong for a channel unless it was a plus 25 pounder which are rare. It was also way to strong to be a bass. It couldn't have been a turtle that big because when the bait was hit it made a large but quick and agile splash that wouldn't be possible for a turtle that size. Plus it was swimming really fast up stream which turtles can't.

Which leaves the possiblity of a super large gar that happened not bite through the line. A large blue cat. A surgeon, which have been spotted in the little miami before. A very large carp. And the small possibilty that a large flathead hit a drifting nightcrawler at 11:00 in the day. Whats your guess?

2. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    The only things i caught were 2, 3 pound skip jacks caught while driftfishing with nightcrawlers.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes flatties will hit crawlers. one of the deadliest tactics that ive seen in pay-ponds for flats is to slowly drag 2 crawlers on a hook on the bottom or under a float. for some reason a moving crawler will catch flats, but one just sitting still never gets anything. i rarely seen anyone doing it but the guys that done it got some really big ones.

4. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I would think most catfish no matter what the kind would bite a drifting live nightcrawler.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ravens, it would help if we knew what part of the LMR you were in, there are flatties but not in high numbers, and there are a lot of gar but not so big as to break your line, ( no, rarely do they bite through your line, teeth are conical, not pyamidal like pike BTW) and I dont think a sturgeon is likely as there are so few around as are Blues but you may have hit a large Channel or most likely, and this is my guess, a large Sheepshead ( Freshwater Drum) they are strong as bulls and really dig for deep water and when they get sideways on you, you just cant harly turn them! and they love Nightcrawlers!

Just confirm that with some of the pay ponders on here, ( Dink, Mellon, what do you think??) :lol:
    Salmonid

6. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    off of route 32 east, going towards eastfork lake

7. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Could have been a flathead. The area in which you speak does in fact have a good number of flatheads....the east fork of the little miami ABOVE the lake has some great flathead areas......Down in Milford by the boy scout camp is alos a good area for flatheads in the little miami....I've fished that river my whole life and have good success on the flattys................THE CATKING !!!

8. The Joker

The Joker New Member

State:
    ohio
    same happen to but i was a 15lb carp on a crawler