Little miami River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Ravensmavsfan, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I'm wondering if you guys have ever fished the little miami river?

Its supposed to have a good population of channels and flats in but I've never got any. but i also have only been twice.

And isn't the great miami only in kentucky, If you live in ohio would you need a kentucky licence to fish it?

Thanks for the Info.:)

2. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Solomon,
    The Great Miami Runs from Grand Lake Saint Mary down to the Ohio river, entirely located in Ohio It runs through Dayton, Hamilton and Miamitown. I know there are a few holes with flats in em, I think that catching channels is a lot more common.

3. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    I grew up fishing the LMR . It's a GREAT fishery .. There are places where flatheads are very common amd some quite large ( 40 pounds plus) This river is also a good small mouth bass river and white bass in the spring . Loveland, Milford, and especially Oregonia have plenty of areas in which to fish .... Farther north above rt 42 is also very good for smallies... But the cattin is by far the best in the south . The Milford area being my favorite...... THE CATKING !!!

4. shovelheadwolf

shovelheadwolf New Member

State:
    ohio
    There is a short section of the GMR that is in Indiana and you do need an Indiana licence. ive been checked by an ohio game warden while fishing from the bank and he showed me on a map that 100 yards from where i was i would be in indiana.

5. shovelheadwolf

State:
    ohio
    CATKING that monster that you are holding in that pic is quite large!!!! I want one, where do I get one? Do i have to sell my sole to get one?

6. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Shovelhead, thats good to know, I always thought it was right on the border :)

7. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Hey shovelheadwolf- Don't have to sell your soul to to get one, just sell it if you want the lake I caught it in.....:grin-big: .. the cat in question has had a few pounds added by a good friend of mine ...... ;) THE CATKING !!! :)

8. shovelheadwolf

State:
    ohio
    wink wink. you should not have told me the truth FISHERMAN! now all my hopes and dreams are smashed. therapy is now needed.

9. shovelheadwolf

State:
    ohio
    oh yea THATS JUST WRONG!!!!!! long distance phone calls were made. trips were pland. boy idont know what to say. i feel as though i have a hook in my mouth.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i used to camp at the miami vally camp grounds. we caught some nice channels and loads of carp. didnt fish for flaties then.

11. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Hook , line & sinker 'wolf ...hook line and sinker buddy ...:grin-big: THE CATKING !!!

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mr King, alot of these good people dont know about 10.25 and 1 in your signature, why dont you make a new post and tell them about these great fish!;)

13. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    That's a GREAT idea Jackson.....:happ-big: and the ones who do know the stories will like to hear them again for the 100th time .....:rolleyes: ...OH YEA !!! DA KING !!! ..........:cool:

14. angryplowboy

angryplowboy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey I fish the GMR almost excluseively beause of how close it is and i really love the area. The stretch between miamitown and hamilton dam #1 are readily fishable by john boat. You might have to pull it out and drag it a few times as there are some small sections of river that arent safe to boat...in my opinion. In the boat I carry a ultralight abu reel on a small 5' uglystick to catch pumpkin seed and warmouth and other types of sunfish. A medium action 7' flippin stick with an ancient shimano reel full of 6lb. test for feisty early to late day channels, and any other small game fish I choose to fish for.
    and In the evenings i'll put those sunnys on my 12' surf rod and anchor up stream just below a large rapid and wait for those flattys to come in. I know that everyone says that flattys come close to the banks at night to feed on crayfish and baitfish but i find that this is the best way to nail em in a boat at dusk. Another thing i see many people doing is looking for the long sluggish stretches of water for channels and flats. I'm not saying this is wrong but time after time It seems if you are willing to fight some brush and find a place where not too many people fish and search till you find a nice white water trough that cats will burn up anything you throw at em.
    the way I see it is this water contains more oxygen and the amount of food in the water is greater, providing a place where cats can stay hunkered down and get really stong from fighting the current and really fat from the ammount of food. ANYWAYS-- sorry to write a novel here. I wish all those good luck on the gmr, and most of all use good sence in safty.

Till next time STAY OUTTA MY HONEY HOLE!!! :D

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Honey holes? geez, not for long!

16. angryplowboy

angryplowboy New Member

State:
    ohio
    i like to think im fairly responsable in my fishing, I always catch and release
    Any one like to join me drop me a line and we'll make some plans.

17. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Thanks-all for the info.

18. bestcatterindaNATI25

bestcatterindaNATI25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey angryplowboy, what size boat and motor do you use on the GMR??????

19. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Hey catking what is up with the 10.25 & 1 in your name

20. Creek_Chub

Creek_Chub New Member

State:
    Loveland, Ohio
    I grew up and still reside in Loveland so i agree with DaKing, the LMR is great. Been fishing it for 25 yrs and it never lets me down. Trotlines, jugs, bank, and my favorite flat bottom jon boat any method is great. Plenty of shovelheads and channels to be caught.
    I still takes the kids down to the rapids and catch the perfect size eatin channels like daddy did with me :crying: .. somethin about wadin in the river at sun up catchin them channels that just gets to a guy...