Little Miami River Success?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Ravensmavsfan, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I've managed to find a few nice spots this winter to fish the little Miami, and i know its the cleanest river in SW ohio, plus the most diverse so i figure i'll try it this spring. I wanna know what kind of success other members have had with this river specifically.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have never fished that river, but there are a few on the site that do on a regular basis. Your info will be delivered shortly I'm sure.

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I fished just up where the river empties into the Ohio, other than that I haven't fished any other part of it. I have done good at that part of it, gar have sometimes been a problem. I've had that problem in other spots thou.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The Little Miami for me is primarily a shad gold mine, its really all I use it for. Now there will be some bluecats and flatheads that will head up the LMR after bait fish, but not to far. It really doesn't hold too many large catfish unless you are close to the Ohio river, other than that a 5 or 6lb cat is a hawg, some of the bigger species you will find further up river are stripers and carp, you can catch high numbers of smaller channels also. Good luck:wink:

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    if you are dayton way the place hold very few channels mostly bullheads you have to go waynesville south since the ceasar creek goes into the river from the lake for channels. mostly up this way great fishing though for large and smallmouth bass sunfish, bluegills, rock bass bullheads suckers and carp. very good fish for those but channels up this are near mostly few and far in between

6. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have fished there many times but i havent really had any luck. the biggest one i have probably caught was about 7lbs. i have caught a lot of gar and some snapping turtles.

7. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Well I'll try my spots i've found this winter, this spring, and let you all know if you should try this unpopular river. Reading about it, i learned its the cleanest and most diverse river in southwest ohio, and its also a National scenic river, maybe it will live up to its potential, well see in a month.

8. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I live very close to the Little Miami River, and fish it alot durring the summer, but the only time I do that is when it's to danged hot to sit on the bank or in a boat.

The LMR is great for catching drums and smaller bass, but there isn't much catfishing to speak of. You can find a few holes with some 6 or so pound channels, but that's about as big as they get.

The LMR is very, very shallow in alot of spots, and it's totally crowded with kids drinking beer in canoes. *tsk, tsk!*

It is a very beautiful river, and if you decide to check it out be extra dillegent about following the rules. The bike path follows the river from Xenia to Loveland, and the place is saturated with Park Rangers who love giving out tickets for any and everything.

One day last summer in the Oregonia area alone, 300 citations were written for offenses from littering, to drinking, to fishing with too many poles!

If you are in the Oregonia area (North of Morrow) on the LMR, there is a fantasic place to eat, Little River Cafe ( I waitress there in the summer). It's 50 feet from the River so stop in for some Talapia or a Bison Burger.

Also, if you are into arrowhead hunting (which I often do while fishing) this is the place to find them!

This river is beautiful, and very clean. I may not catch many fish in it, but I always enjoy myself.

Oh, and BTW, I have had the most luck using softcrawls for bait here, actually, you can gather enough for your fishing outing when you get there.....

Have a great time if you go!

ANge