little help?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by JoshFisher, Aug 12, 2008.

1. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    hey yall gotta couple questions... lately as im fishing on bigger waters ive been considering using braided line, my step dad says that itl start to groove out my eyelets and mess up my reel aswell. im just wonderin if thats true and if so wat kind of rod and reel do i need in order to use this higher str, smaller diameter line??

all comments helpful =p

2. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    anyone lol??

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have 2 Abu Garcia 6500 pro rockets spooled with #65 power pro and a 7000 pro rocket spooled with #80 power pro and my son has 2 Okuma Avenger spinning reels spooled with #50 power pro and they are all on 12' rods and have had absolutely no problems of any kind with the line. Good luck.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Abu 7000 ,100# power pro , stanless guides, no problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

5. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    well thx yall, so wat i need is stainless steel to prevent the corosion? then i suppose my abu 5600 should be good??

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    The earlier braids were very abrasive and tended to actually cut grooves in the eyelets of older poles. The braids today are much smoother and less abrasive, and most newer rods will have eyelets that can stand up to the lesser abrasion. As far as messing up your reel, I have no idea where that came from... I have braid on almost all my reels, including many older Penn casting reels. Braid does not do anything to your reels... You may want to get some detail on what he meant.

Braid is tough and thin, therefore you can get a lot more braid on a reel than mono line. It is not quite as abrasion resistant, so leaders may need to be used depending on what type if fishing you are doing..

Give braid a try, I bet you like it...

7. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    thx, ya that was the understanding of it that i had.. but b4 i put it on i just wanted to make sure... thx yall

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya the reel willbe fine. some guides is what will be sawn through. stainless guides should be cool. and the tip is what bears most of the load and is most susceptible. keep an eye on it. if it shows a cut forming in the eyelet find a stainless tip.:wink:

good luck. personally i tried braid. dug into its self on baitcasters and birdnested to easy. i went back to mono.

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I went to braided lot's better performance & no guide-cuts so far been using power-pro 65lb test on my shimano 400's, & abu 6500's & 6600's..when ya do be on the look out for an old wooden baseball bat and cut off the big end down about 16inches cause when ya get hung up you can wrap the line around the bat & give it a quick pull works every time (thanks Johnny) he invented it..dont wrap that stuff around your reel and pull it....NEVER:tounge_out:

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Sounds like you did not put the line on the reel tight enough. The tighter it is on the reel spool the better it is. If it's on there loose it's going to dig in and back lash.

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I tried some of the braided line one time ....it was in the winter and the line was stiff and frozen. When I tried to cast it, was the biggest mess I have ever seen. I went back to mono real quick!!! I use 20 lb on almost everything I got...except for some 30 big game line which performs flawlessly as well.:big_smile:

12. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    thx to all u guys for the help, i put some on and ill be testin it out here in a couple hours... lookin for new pb :tounge_out:

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Braid will eat the pin that reels your line in on spincast reels. I put 10# braid on my ultralight bait reel and it cut about halfway through the pin before I noticed it:big_smile: