Little Help with River Stats??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SubnetZero, May 1, 2007.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Can anyone help me understand this ?

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=05576500

From what I gather, thats showing whats the current and the depth at this moment, correct???

Also, can you tell me how I can relate anything else on there to help with fishing... Right now, when the river is up, fishing tends to be mucho better, so I can use that without going over there and checking it heh.. anything else you may suggest I should keep an I on would be greatly appreciated...

2. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats correct; it's showing the flow rate and the depth at the reading point.
    I like to view it in a table format to see all the exact reading over the past few days.
    Just go the output format box at the top and select "table" adn then the GO button. This will change the display when the page reloads.

This USGS stuff is great info.

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    SubnetZero,

You can change the displayed charts or data to extend back to the past 31 days. This might give you a good idea of river conditions (rising, falling, flow) when you had a trip, and use for reference relative to how you did. It's too bad your gage doesn't show precitipation, but look on the statewide webpage and see if there's a gage upstream, or another one close by, that reports precip. Then you can also reference rainfall in your estimation of expected river conditions and how fishing is going to be. If you want to get fancy, make a printout or powerpoint presentation with notations of your trip results, and you'll have a running log based on river conditions.

Dennis

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    boy, im all cornfused now hehe..

Been watching the river levels and then checking that site.. Something isn't jiving... Im about 3 miles from that gauge when I drive over a bridge near home. We've had rain come through the area and last several days, the water has been rising and is about 6 inches from the top of its bank.
    But...

I've been watching this page daily and its been showing the depth on a downward trend.. So now I dont know what the think :doubt: