Little help please

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Veets, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Veets

Veets Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just purchased an Abu 6500 TCCF and spooled it with 50 pound Power Pro. My question is, what rod should I marry this to and what terminal tackle would you suggest? I'm looking to catch something big and will be river fishing primarily.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Veets, ship it to me for a year or two trial. I will test different rods and such and give you my honest opinion. Hope this helps!! :big_smile:

3. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    that would soley depend on what you like. but i will tell you this much you are gona love that reel. and man is it a winch.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    A good rod to set that up with would be this St. Croix Classic Cat 7'6" Heavy Fast Action rod.

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Do they still make that rod? I cant find one anywhere

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    you can use any good quality rod of the same specs will work that is just a good one if you can find one and a good match for the reel.

7. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would use a quantum big cat heavy action rod 7foot 6in. For tackle use a big pyramid, or no roll sinker depending on current, a 200lb swivel, and either a 10/0 or 12/0 gama big river hook. This is what i use only i have a 7000c3, and a quantum c

8. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would use a quantum big cat heavy action rod 7foot 6in. For tackle use a big pyramid, or no roll sinker depending on current, a 200lb swivel, and either a 10/0 or 12/0 gama big river hook. Dont forget to put a bead between the main line knot and the sinker. This is what i use only i have 7000c3, and a quantum cabo reels. I have 2 6500c3's though and they will bring in the biggest of fish also.

Hope this helps.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    There is only two rods that I would use with that reel:
    1. Gator rod 7' M/H lite tip (contact Jim and he will do you right)
    2. Uglystick Tiger (Yellow one not white)

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nope and I just gave my last Heavy Action one away. :sad2: I still have a lighter action that Gator reorked for me. I was able tto secure a couple through the St Croix Retail store at their warehouse. That was several months ago, last I knew those were the last two they had. I remember calling a production manager from St Croix like two weeks after they stopped making them. He was sort of bumed.

I agree w/ JW, contact Gator.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like the 7 foot black heavy action shakspeare rods but I can't find them here locally. The only place I have seen them for sale is at the shakspeare shows they have every year. And I never seem to take enough money to those things, now that they are gonna accept plastic I think my leather wallet will be plastic coated after that show.:lol:

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ugly stik tiger rod, the yellow one..I have them now in m/h and medium action..The m/h has a very very stiff tip section..The medium is quite a bit different with a very limper tip, but with plenty of backbone.

13. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Got to agree here. I don't think much of Yellow as a color, but put the words Ugly Stick in front and I'll jump on. I've got two of them both M/H backed up with Penn 209's. No Problems! I've also bought a pair of Quantum's Blue Runner M/H rods. I don't know much about them except the hype on them was good...And they are sharp looking, Black & Blue. Sets my CZH60 right off so I can make my fashion statement, I have to stay up scale so only the BIG ones bite my rigg's. No "shakers" on these.
    Don