little help, no bait = no fish

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JoshFisher, Dec 31, 2009.

1. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    hey yall so i just got back into town yesterday, and its so dang white here! but anyways i fish thunderbird mostly and lately shad have been a problem... i see plenty of um on the finder but cant seem to get um... i throw a 6 foot net... is that my problem??? there in about 20 to 30 foot of water mostly, maybe deeper now with all this snow but i was wonderin wat kind of tips yall could offer me.. im gettin the next couple days off here at the base and lookin to hit the water but no bait = no fish :embarassed:

thanks

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Josh one thing that will help is make your net heavier so it drops faster and doesn't try to close on its way down.If they aren't in cover and it is a smooth bottom, make sure it goes all the way to the bottom. Ya might add some rope to it also to make it easier, so you don't come up short.

Hope this helps.

Chris

3. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma

hey i appreciate it, im already at like a pound and a half per sqft or watever should i still have more??

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    bigger mesh on the netting will help it stay open as it sinks and sink faster also .

3/8 mesh sinks to slow i would get a 3/4 inch mesh if ya can find 1 or atleast a 5/8 that should help

if ya can throw a 6 footer i would try to beef up to a 8 footer .

this seems to work for me .

5. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma

thx for the help scott, well i just got off work and its time to hit the lake...

appreciate the feed back yall

6. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    the smaller nets will close up in deeper water, also a light weighted need sinks too slow, shad will out run the net, i trow a 8` net, we had the same problem last winter after daylight, add more rope off an old net and try before day light

7. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    While I am not a big fan on nice cats with worms, if worst comes to worst, ya can always try worms.

But as mentioned before, try a bigger mesh. 3/4 might be a tad big (at least for me) but at least that would weed out the real small ones. 5/8 I would think would be best all around.

8. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Don't use anything bigger than 3/8 mesh in Oklahoma. Look at the regs.

9. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma

hey i appreciate the heads up, well i went this morning, i guess all day i should say with no luck... ended up using some old frozen shad but when i got there i realized i left the boat battery at the house =p so it was all bank lol

10. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Those are all good tips, and don't get discouraged either, even the best of us sometimes can't always find the shad or get them no matter what the fish finder says, it can be tough at times, i've ran some guide trips with as little as a dozen shad before, throwing my ass off, sometimes you just don't know, hang in there and keep throwin

11. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    like they said let it go to the bottom. Look for shad on the side of the lake were the wind is blowing toward. If it is blowing to the west you need to be on the west side of the lake . They will hold tighter together. The wind is blowing plankton across the lake so the shad chase them and the cats chase the shad.

12. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with everything mentioned. I also throw an 8 foot net with 5/8 mesh. It has 18lbs of lead and it really does the trick for those deep winter shad. When they're over 30 feet deep, I throw the net and while it's sinking, I attach another rope with a quick attach metal clip to get the net down to 40 or maybe 50 feet. It's a cold wet job in the winter. I wear water-proof boots and bibs while catching shad. The net can soak you if you have to throw it many times.

13. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    man yall are awesome and offered some great tips, i was gonna head out this morning but jim beam got the better of me last night so heres kind of another question....
    even in this 20 degree weather is the catfishing still productive at night? i think it would be seein as how the water is always warmer but i just thought i should check before i head out?

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Josh, here is some food for thought...

Shad is not the only bait for catfish. Shrimp, worms and large minnows also work well. Thread the minnows on the hook as you would a worm, starting at the mouth and ending near the anal fin.

Lots of fine fishermen will offer you advice, but not all of it is in accordance with the Oklahoma Regulations. Take what they say to heart, but KNOW the book.

Use other fish as cutbait. Small crappie are good, but know if the lake/river your on has a length limit for crappie.

15. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    appreciate the feedback lawrence you always got some good info!

16. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Right as rain, Lawrence

Josh, I haven't done a whole lot of night time winter fishing. In my experience, the bit slows down about sunset or a couple hours after sunset. I've usually been fishing all day and am ready to leave by that time anyways. If you can tough the weather, you ought to be able to catch em. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  17. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    Why is everybody getting lots of names on the right side of the post????

18. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    I see they have went away today.