Little help needed here in n. kentucky

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Wishing-not-fishing, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Wishing-not-fishing

Wishing-not-fishing New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have been fishing the Ohio river in nothern Ky. for a few years and each year it seems like the catchs are smaller and fewer in between, has anyone else noticed this part of the river being less productive? Any help or pointers here would great....

2. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Firstly let me be the first one to welcome you to the B.O.C. i can assure you that you wont find a better group of people anywhere than right here so welcome, as to your question as you may be able to tell from my avaitar, I am a bit away from Cincy/N KY right now but have found a number of good holes along the river but you are correct in that is taking a bit more effort to find the really nice ones :smile2:

3. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Theres still some big ones out there. The river is probably on the decline since there arent any laws for protecting cats as a game fish or having laws about releasing fish over a certain size. I live in Evansville and there are gill nets everywhere. That probably doesnt help. And the fact that the ohio is so volatile, up and down up and down. Its usually hit or miss. Just find a pattern and hope it works for awhile, then figure out where they are hiding and what they are munching on. Having a boat helps too.. Good luck...go out on the river with someone with good sonar. You will see plenty of big fish on the bottom and how they are relating to structure. Good luck to ya.

4. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    HEY John, Welcome to the B.O.C.

BIGCAT GarryEads:smile2:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey John welcome to the BOC, i dont live in KY. (yet), but im sure someone can help ya out!!

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    John, Welcome to the BOC. I too fish the Ohio River. I live about 35 miles upstream from Louisville in Bedford. The fishing is hit or miss lots of times on the Ohio. Lately the two week cold spell we had just plain shut them down. Also the gar are starting to run to make matters worse. Snagging, commercial fishing and lucky novice anglers not practicing C & R has made it hard on some of the bigger fish. There are still plenty of good ones out there though, you just might have to hunt a little harder to find them. I try to fish areas that are less fished, this helps me find fish that aren't disturbed. Also on occasion, you will catch a good fish in a place you expect to find small channels. Fishing structure will help alot, but if the river is down, I like to drift. Sometimes the big ones are laying in the channel, where it is unsafe to anchor because of the barge factor. Good Luck. Vern

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Hey John welcome to the BOC,

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome home John, Boy I hope you like PINK it is in west'rn Kanetuk and spreading fast! lol:eek:oooh: :big_smile: :lol:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a18: :0a25: :0a25: John Welcome to the BOC.Good to have you on board.The river is forever changing and we have to change with it. Spending more time on the water and useing a good depth finder will increase your chance of relocating the productive spots.:lol: :big_smile:

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i believe commercial fishermen are probably the biggest reason for the decline in fish right now. i did not know until recently how widespread commercial fishing for cats was on the ohio. all you need is a couple hundred bucks for a commercial license and youre in business. guys,our waters are being raped and it's sad to say but there really isnt much we can do about it. money talks . its a damn shame.

12. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    You're not alone I can tell you that.

13. kykatattack

kykatattack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive been fishing the ohio from meldahl dam to markland dam for 20 years and since the 97 flood the fishing has been less productive than the years before.i dont know what effect that had but i can tell a big difference since. but i still find them lot of hard work but worth it when you hook that 1 big fish that you wait for keep trying