little help catching flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by gtacmadcat, Aug 15, 2009.

1. gtacmadcat

gtacmadcat New Member

State:
    arkansas
    im new here and new to catfishing. been cathing alot of blues and channels on danny kings i want to catch big flatheads any help with bait or location would be appreciated.

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Arch. Flathead bait, either live blue gills or cut big cut bait will work too. Good luck out there. You will find more info on here to help you.

3. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Live bait fish, and structure. Ie. Log jams, downed trees in the water, big rocks, mud banks. Remember the flat is an elusive critter. To me the hardest to catch. I personally have not caught a decent flat in a few years. I dont target them much because of the wait. I prefer to chase the blues. Good luck in your quest.

4. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC Arch. You are really starting out right with your quest for flathead. I know of no other place to get the info you will need to be successful. Check out the Flathead catfish section to home in on flattie tips. Also be sure to checkout the member library.:wink: Live bait is my suggestion to you, and location. Live bait presents its own problems, but since I am not that successful with flatheads, I will only recommend the St. Francis and Mississippi for numbers of larger fish. Again, welcome to the BOC. :big_smile:

5. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    Can't help ya with flatheads but sure welcome ya to the BOC bud.

6. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I'm not the one with all the answers but from what i've read and all, best luck is at night time and larger chunks of bait( bream, skipjack, etc.) and where they are located is the biggie. I am new at this myself, caught my first flathead about 2 months ago on a trotline. That's the best I can do. Good luck and I will be watching for even more tips to your question.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey welcome to the gang

8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello Arch and welcome to the BOC. Flatties seem to prefer live baits and my choice is gills and creek chubs. Current breaks are your best bet the predatory flatties, holes, log jams, structure, inside and/or outside bends (dependent), and mouths of feeder creeks just to name a few. Don't do much night fishing anymore, but it's very productive as flatties tend to be more nocturnal. Stay safe and stick with it till you find what works best for you!!!:wink: