Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I haven't ever fished it so I'm interested in hearing as well. I live outside of hominy and we used to fish under the bridge on 99 where it crossed over the Caney. When I was a boy about 10 I saw a fish swimming that river that looked like a submarine to me then, probably a gar but I'm 44 now and have never seen another fish that big in person since

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't ever fished it so I'm interested in hearing as well. I live outside of hominy and we used to fish under the bridge on 99 where it crossed over the Caney. When I was a boy about 10 I saw a fish swimming that river that looked like a submarine to me then, probably a gar but I'm 44 now and have never seen another fish that big in person since
In the '60s we used to go to that area everyone called Elgin, Ks. We'd start fishing it in early March and it was great for white bass below the riffles. There was a road to the river back then. That river was the Caney and below those riffles were some nice catfish holes. A good catfisherman taught me to fish the holes below riffles, and he was right, it is a great place for cats. Camping near what is called the Hog Pens during summer you can set lines and rod & reel fish with great success. A friend caught many flatheads over 30 lbs one year around Labor Day. If camping, take a generator as it gets hot and you'll need A/C.

·
Registered
154 Posts
How's the catfishing in Copan, I've looked it over on navionics and it's a pretty shallow lake in general. I see a section that gets up to 33ft but nothing much deeper

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's pretty good in the summer in various spots in the channel and drop-offs into deeper water from the south to the north, and on the flats beside the channels. We usually set jugs out and often fish the flats near Wash Cove for channel cats & blues at night. I use cut shad and whole shad, sunfish, sometimes Danny Kings punch bait for anchoring & fishing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How's the catfishing in Copan, I've looked it over on navionics and it's a pretty shallow lake in general. I see a section that gets up to 33ft but nothing much deeper
Yes, it is pretty shallow. My LiveScope programs only show one area down by the dam to be 33 feet. The Copan Point area is decent for catfish, but it is crammed full of brush for Crappie and I hang-up a lot. 10-20 feet to the west off Copan Point is a pair of submerged ponds that are decent to fish around. Oddly it's better in the spring & fall.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are there any flatheads caught there? My uncle use to catch decent ones under the bridge up river
Yes, there are some good sized flatheads in Copan. The ones who only use live sunfish catch them on limblines, trotlines and even sometimes on jugs. Below the dam is good for flatheads using live bait. Each spring when I hit the crappie spawn I always catch small flatheads so it makes me believe the population is decent.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're welcome for the info. That's how I learned to catch 'em - other fishermen shared info with me. Another thing I wanted say is the noodlers get nice flatheads from Copan. With the new maps and electronics they find them fairly easily. And a lot of them grew-up in the area before it was dammed so know where to look for them.
Best of luck when you go fishing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was a noodler many moons ago, a local guy who was known to be one of the toughest guys around got bit in the face or neck by a water moccasin can't remember, anyway he made it to his truck and lit out for the emergency room but died on the way there. That and a few other bad incidents caused me to keep my hands out of holes and let them other boys have that style of fishing

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was a noodler many moons ago, a local guy who was known to be one of the toughest guys around got bit in the face or neck can't remember, anyway he made it to his truck and lit out for the emergency room but died on the way there. That and a few other bad incidents caused me to keep my hands out of holes and let them other boys have that style of fishing
After I heard a man in Iowa had his hand bitten off by a Beaver in a hole I never tried it. Not worth it. Sorry this unfortuante man died from his wounds. Bad deal

·
Registered
Mark from Bartlesville OK
1,745 Posts
Haven't fished Copan in about 10 years. We used to catch blues on jugs all the time. We caught a 51 lb flathead and one blue over 50 when we fished there. There is a flat south of Osage point that we caught a lot of fish with jugs.

Crappie were good as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haven't fished Copan in about 10 years. We used to catch blues on jugs all the time. We caught a 51 lb flathead and one blue over 50 when we fished there. There is a flat south of Osage point that we caught a lot of fish with jugs.

Crappie were good as well.
South of the Osage Plains point? It wouldn't be Copan Point near the swimming beach, would it?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Tons of blues in Copan…caught thousands in the lake…plenty in the 1 1/2 to 4 pound range. River channel on the north end by the islands is deep and tons of fish. Good fishing if you can make it up to the log jam in the spring

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tons of blues in Copan…caught thousands in the lake…plenty in the 1 1/2 to 4 pound range. River channel on the north end by the islands is deep and tons of fish. Good fishing if you can make it up to the log jam in the spring
I've caught thousands of catfish from Copan, too. Caught big blues during the summer heat on the flats near the intersection of the Caney river channel & the creek channel going toward Endicott's pond. There's also a good hump by Washington Cove campground. Been to the log jams many times in the spring.

·
Registered
Mark from Bartlesville OK
1,745 Posts
Osage plains is an old campground on the west side almost at the north end of Lake. There is a ramp up there that I have used in the past.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts