Little Blue River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bgoodman498, Jun 11, 2008.

1. bgoodman498

bgoodman498 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    What are you guys opinion on fishing the Little Blue River in Independence MO? Does anyone have any luck there. I want to try it when the water goes down a little, but I don't know anything about it. Your help is appreciated. :big_smile:

2. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    we used to go up it from the missouri river and have pretty good luck. not sure how it would be up in the city tho

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Ther are a lot of different fish in the Blue in Independence. Have never saw anything of a lot of size though. Some good eatin size. Like Adam said the fishin is better where the Mo and Blue join.

4. ooicu812

ooicu812 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Im glad to see others interested in the same water bodies i grew up fishing. The little blue is my favorite fishing spot and in my opinion very underrated. Im familiar with the area you are refering to and say go for it. I usually float my 10 ft john,and have quite literally caught fish every time. Of course you dont need a boat to enjoy the lil blues bounty!!!As far as "nothing of size" comes from the river is a myth,im a new member but as soon as i can ill upload my 30lb flathead for all you nay -sayers(caught in little blue trace park, off nessary rd.) Well, first off I find The best time to fish is in the mornig hours,it usually dies off when scourtching hot, but picks right back up in the sunset hours and through the night.I use a simple carolina rig with 2oz weight and about an 18 inch leiter line.Bait is quite elementary useing nightcrawlers is the number 1 bait for the river. Ive been fishing the blue for 10 years and know the most common of catches include drum,carp,channel,flathead,gar,ive also caught largemouth,and shad all useing the above bait and rigging system.If you see the lil red boat dubed "the catfish Hunter" thats me and well flag me down and well catch some keepers!!! (i usually just let them go).

5. boost3782

boost3782 New Member

State:
    USA
    Wheres a good boat ramp for the blue? I'd be tempted to give er' a try.

Kyle

6. ooicu812

ooicu812 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The little blue river is a great place for fishing. Not seemingly known to locals, I would find it a great place to cannoe or kiyak if one were so inclined. living in the very populated area of kansas City I look at the river as a dimond in the rough. Formally living in Independece and fishing their sceince 12 yrs old and now a bit older i know the river well. Using my small portabal rig (10ft john and troller) ive fished from Grandview all the way past sibley into the Missouri river. I remember some drop points including Little blue trace park, and others that within the past years have been blocked off or at least to me look like its not quite accecabal. Not sure of legality ive never had any major issues,tickets or fines launching my rig.

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    little blue is great catfishing !!!!!!!!

I was lucky had a friend that lived right smack on the little blue just down from the park on 24 hwy from fort osage school . the little blue was only like a 100 yards from in his back yard .

We spent many many a night after work fishing it in his 14 foot john boat and caught hundreds of flatheads and channels from close to the park all the way to the mouth of the missouri river.

we used bluegills,perch i would catch from a farm pond if I didnt want to take the time to go catch bait I would go to levasy and buy small carp and goldfish from the fish farm.

if you can get a small canoe, 2 man boat or small jon boat i bet you could put in at that park off the bank and float down all the way to the mouth there are some good spots to set up on the bank might take a weed eater to clear the weads, and grass.

good luck and dont let the size of the little blue full ya tons of flatheads around 20 lbs and good size channels .

8. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    We use to be able to sigh little blue that ran along sring Valley Park, and even over off Brush Creek, all the way out along Alex George. But they have it to were you can not bank fish it anymore. In the area's I know of.

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I love the little blue. Growing up near Fort Osage High I was minutes from several spots on the blue. We used Bee-Jay and sonny's dip bait alot and would catch channels all day long. Everytime I drive past that little river it makes me think of those days. It is a neat little resource

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Have you been by it today? It's rollin!!