Little blue catfish action on the Big "O"

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catcrazed, Dec 20, 2008.

1. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well kataddict and I dicided to go out on the big ohio today to see what all this talk about debris and high raging water was all about. Normally raging water, debris and crazy current always seems to produce for ole Kataddict and myself and today was absolutely fantastic!! We boated 10 fish today with Randys getting his pb 45lb blue. Caught several smaller fish today but we never stopped getting bites. It was like we couldnt do wrong. everywhere we stopped we got bites. Actually the first fish I had on today broke me off but it was definetley just a bad spot in the line. We got to see the fish come up before he broke off and it was no doubt the largest channel Ive ever had on. We guestimated him to be around the 20lb range. anyways, all fish were caught on fresh marshmallows 3 feet deep. Not Mooneyes!!! Those don't work on Saturdays and apparently neither do shad. LOL. Here is some pics! Enjoy

Attached Files:

2. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    few more pics!!!

Attached Files:

3. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    couple more!!

Attached Files:

4. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Ouch....that was kinda low. LOL
    Nice fish bro! You guys try gettin your pics on a Maysville TV station this time? LOL

5. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ahh Travis was givin me a little lip yesterday bout how he was gonna show us how to putem in the boat. That was just a little jab. He woulda done it to me. Man the current was screamin but there must have just been a lot more leaves and garbage where you guys were. We would leave poles out for say 20 minutes and reel in and rebait and there may have been a little garbage on the sinker but not very much. I remember Doc lang tellin me that the fish would not be in places where there was lots of garbage gettin on your line. I never have forgotten that! We were out of the current somewhat and there wasnt much garbage in that particular area. Oh and yeah Im sending those pics to the maysville news democrat. Ill be famous once again my boc buddy!!!:tounge_out:

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    good job merry christmas rick

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats,those are some nice blues along with some nice channels.

8. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    LOL...dont blame ya.

Man I'll tell ya what we, couldnt seem to escape the crap. Or at least not in places we spotted fish.

Man someone needs to get ya a camcorder for Christmas. You can start posting vidoes on the BOC and Youtube. Start scratchin that, I'm gonna be famous itch.:cool2: LOL

9. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    ya know, thats a great idea and I have thought of that but I just can't see taking a brand new camcorder out on the boat. It just seems it would be dropped in the water to easily ya know, or just plain ole dropped on the floor. Not to mention our hands are normally filthy. ah what the hell, Im gonna ask for one anyways.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Robin you da man!! I can't wait to make a trip down there soon and catch some of them blues!!!! congrats on the good trip bro.....rollo

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    AWESOME day!! Thanks for posting!

Bill in SC

12. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just a side note for anyone who thinks about this stuff like I do. It was the day after a major front had came through.....the moon phase was saying minimal activity and the old saying "when the winds from the east,fish bite the least" means nothing anymore....lol. Everything that was supposed to be bad news just didn't apply yesterday!

13. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats guys on the great day of fishing!

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats great you guys, I am glad you landed your PB Randy thats a nice looking fish bud. Nothing seemed to go our way yesterday, we just couldn't escape the garbage. The debris on top of the water was no where near what I have fished before, but the debris underneath the water was so bad my depth finder could barely seperate the fish and the garbage, and I run 2 of them! All of the normal haunts didnt produce, and it just goes to show how conditions like these change a river completley. We set up on a great spot at the end, saw fish stacked in there like there was no tommorrow, got set up and wouldnt you know who breaks the surface? A freakin gar, and another, and another. I knew that spot was doomed from the get go...Just wished I would have fished farther down river, or up river lol....but thats how it goes....day after xmas I will be out full force....Just didnt expect what happened yesterday, very depressing for sure....hoping and praying for the river to come up, it does, and I have the worst day out in months...:sad2:

15. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    did you try marshmallows?? They wouldnt take the big marshmallows, but we figured out if you just used 2 of the small ones on an 8/0 circle. That was the ticket!!! I really think the fish find them easy in the dirty water. Ya know, them being white and all? There is no doubt about it man, your part of the river was just dirtier than ours. We were reading very minimal garbage on our graph, but we were fishing areas that werent directly in the current. I was actually surprised to see where the fish were but there is no doubt about it, we learned a thing or 2 yesterday. First thing being that all the rumors about cold fronts, wind out of the east, moonphase and evan the in fishermans good fishing days chart means absolutely nothing in certain situations. Randy hit the nail on the head on that one.... Water temp was 40-41. How bout in cinci area? Same?

16. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Hey man, that looks like a sweet trip! Thanks for the great pictures.

17. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Man, I never believed the baro pressure garbage. The pressure the fish see in deep water, especially when moving deeper is much greater than anything that the atmosphere produces due to a front. Even the most pressure differences(which come from hurricanes) dont effect the water more than a few feet down. Water is about 800 times denser(thicker) than air and has a high viscosity. In shallow, calm, waters they may have to adjust a little. But anything under a couple foot of water is already exceeded by the pressure of the water already. And if the water not calm, the waves will break some of the air pressure on the water. If the pressure is steady, but their are some waves. The waves will produce almost the same pressure differences as the front, and the do it in seconds not hours. The fish arent effected by that change....especially since their normally deeper than a few feet anyway.

As for the water temp, we got two different readings off the two different graphs. I was 40-41 and the other was 38-39.

18. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Looks like a good trip.I wish I lived closer to a river with blues in it:sad2:
    It would sure make the winter go by quicker

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some good fish. Congrats and keep us posted of your future trips

20. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    That's good stuff bro!:worship: I can't wait to bust a #40.