Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,761 Posts
Ol catfish Dave having a heck of a time with his lithium batteries I see
Ol' Catfish Dave seems to have a heck of a time with a lot of things: barking dogs, people, other boats, weather, electronics .... just to name a few.

To be fair though, I've seen quite a few complaints on different sites about unreliable lithium batteries and I'd be pissed too if I'd laid out that kind of $$$ and been let down by them.

...W

· Registered
Aaron from Indiana
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't watched a Catfish Dave video in quite a while but I do know lithium batteries have their issues. I've seen a few headlines where they have spontaneously caught fire and I sure don't want that happening in my boat or anywhere else. If sodium ion batteries actually make it to the market, offer performance similar to lithium at a fraction of the price, and offer weight savings over lead acid, I'm definitely interested. Unfortunately I'll probably need new batteries before that happens.

· Premium Member
12,408 Posts
Now I don’t know this to be true since I do not have any hands on experience but ham radio operators use these batteries for outings and have commented on them some.

Their biggest comment is that you get what you pay for. There seem to be some good brands and then some cheap ones. I would bet Dave went cheap just so he would have something else to complain about. He would only be happy if he lived on a planet by himself and then would complain about the sound of silence.

If I ever run into him there, I hope my dog is with me.

· Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,761 Posts
I wonder if lithium batteries build a memory like marine batteries do?
Cane,
The battery "memory" thing is (was) based on a characteristic of NiCad rechargeable batteries that does not affect marine deep cycle lead acid batteries despite peoples' insistence that it does.

Even though it has become the "go-to reason" for many battery charging/discharging/capacity/use issues, "memory" is really a myth based on folks compromising the charging cycles of deep cycle batteries by the over discharging and incorrect charging, the results of which is reduced performance and shorter life.

Our boat batteries, whether flooded lead acid, AGM or lithium will not "remember" being over discharged or incorrectly charged but if it is done regularly they will make us pay for it just like any other device that is incorrectly used/maintained.

...W

· Registered
121 Posts
A good video, though this type of battery is really focused on electric cars, and they're huge.
If you are more concerned with a good battery for your boat, you can't beat the gel-cells made by Duracell; 7 year prorated! Especially if you have a Sam's Club nearby: they sell them at about half the price of anywhere else!!
I had a lot of trouble with my SUV's killing all brands in about a year, so I tried one, and they are awesome, never managed to kill it. Same problem with next SUV, which needed a different size, so I had to get another Duracell for it, instead of swapping out my first one, and it is doing great as well.

· Registered
571 Posts
I have lithium in my boat and I love them. I have 2- 125 amps for the 24V trolling motor and 1-125 amp for the cranking battery which also runs my livewell, Hummingbird, and whatever else we have plugged in. Got the app on my phone so I can look at any time and see how much charge I have left.

Initial cost stinks but if you use your batteries alot and draw them down pretty far, lithiums are cheaper in the long run.

I think technology on the batteries will only get better. Look how far it has come in the last 10 years. Wonder where it will be in another 10.

· Premium Member
6,803 Posts
I think as long as we don't just set our feet and say this won't work, or you will never catch me using this or that electric devise the technology will progress. In the case of battery technology, I suspect very rapidly. In a Capitalist society we have the greatest minds, supported by the wealthiest corporations striving to find the perfect balance of range, weight and cost. Whoever gets it right first soars into the billionaire status.
Right now I am about as low tech. as one can get on batteries, two lead acid from the giant retailers for my TM and one for the starter motor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts