Lite tackle fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Mar 19, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    anyone lite tackle catfish out there

wat do uuse

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    May through June I catfish with lite tackle.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    In the summer I go up in the creeks and catch channels with lighter gear. When the small channels are on fire we use 10 foot Berkley Ultralite crappie rods, mitchell 30x reels and 6 pound line. It is a good time!

4. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use my Ultra light to catch Bullheads for bait. Thats about the only light tackle catfishin I do.

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use lite rods for channel and bullhead, but I have caught some over 5 pound flathead on lite as Medium action rod and reel with 6lb test lines.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont lite tackle catfish, I cant afford to I use 14 to 20 lb test line. lite tackle is for bream and bass :lol:

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Now and then I will. A few years ago I caught a 7# chanell on my trout rod and 6# line. Was really fun took about 15 minutes to land.

8. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    I've caught channels up to 8# on ultra light rod with 4# test line. It's a real challenge to keep them from breaking your line.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I usually use the lightest tackle I can get away with. Makes for good fishing if you ask me ;) OK, I use a 11 1/2 foot St.Croix Wild River, Light action, medium power with 6-10lb. line (usually stren "red box" regular) paired with a rear-drag or front-drag Shimano Symetre 1500FI. The rod is a Salmon rod but I just love it and it's perfect for the masses of ChannelCats around these parts. (We don't have those huge flatties up this far north) So it's not overkill like a huge surf type rod I so often see people with. I think they mistake length with girth in my opinion! HTH

10. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The lightest setup I use is a Tica Dophin 9 foot spinning rod with medium action matched with a Coba 30 this is filled with 20# Fireline.

11. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    I use light tackle often when fishing for channels and carp. Use a 8' crappie rod with an ultralite spinning reel spooled with 4 lb. test. Have caught several channels up to 10 lbs. and several carp over 10 with largest being 17 lbs.. Only do this in ponds (lakes) where the weeds haven't taken over. After the month of June I usually go back to heaver tackle.