Lipton's Onion soup mix

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by ozzy, Dec 12, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    This is a perfect mix for just about anything. I use 1 packet for 1 pound of beans or lentils. Chime in your recipes.

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Oz.....I had clean it out day again.

After I surveyed all available ingredients (didn't want to go to the store!) I came up with Italian Smoked Sausage and Chicken Chowder.

In a large pot, combine:
    2 cans low sodium chicken broth
    1 pkt. Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    3 1/2 cups water

Add in:
    2 or 3 carrots, peeled and chunked
    3 medium ribs celery, chunked
    1/2 lg. jar pimientos
    2 cloves garlic, minced

Cover and bring to a boil (med/high); cook until carrots are starting to become tender on the outside edges.

Add in:
    1/2 lb. Italian style smoked sausage, quartered and chunked
    1/2 large onion, peeled and chunked
    1 large potato ('bout as big as a ladies size 5 foot :smile2:), peeled and chunked

Reduce heat and simmer approximately 8 minutes or until potatoes are almost done.

Add in:
    1 (6-oz) pkg. deli-style Italian chicken breast strips, cut in bite-size pieces
    1 can cream of mushroom soup mixed with
    1 cup evaporated milk (Diluted or undiluted, doesn't matter....or whole milk or 2%. Don't use skim or 1%; they will both curdle.)

Continue cooking until all ingredients are heated through and potatoes finish cooking.

Add any other seasonings you so desire. It tasted good to me just like this, but I decided to throw in some black pepper for good measure.

Both the Italian smoked sausage and the chicken, plus the soups, added plenty of flavor IMO.

Thanks for this thread. I saw it last night, and if I wouldn't have, I'd have probably forgotten I had that ONE pack of Lipton Onion Soup Mix left in the back of the cabinet. :0a31:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dang that sounds good Tanya. Tryed to rep ya but they say wait.:confused2: I put it in hamburgers when i grill.

4. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    when its raining too hard to fire up the smoker pit.....

the dry mix works good as a dry rub for an oven roasted brisket

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use it to cook roasts in...in the crock pot. Also mix it with ground beef, eggs, and bread crumbs to make Salisbury steak, and smother it in brown gravy.

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    one pouch of onion soup mix....one tub of sour cream.....mix= french onion chip dip........some finely chopped fresh chives wouldn't hurt either

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Till I was in my 30s ,I thought that was what onion soup was really for.:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2: