lips or dorsal fin

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 15, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    is it beter to hook a bluegil through the lips or nose, or through the back ,

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I do it both ways depending on where I'm fishing and how much current. Most of the time I hook them under the dorsal fin above the spine. In a lot of current I'll hook them through the mouth/nose.
    Hope this helps, It works for me.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I prefer to hook through the mouth (upper lip) and out between the "nose". Careful you don't put the hook too far back as it could kill the fish

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    just behind the dorsal fin above the spine, but if all I have is little bait "which is almost never" I will hook through the top lip on "chubs" only, the bluegills lips are a little thin for my likeing.

5. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    Depends on the bait where but i like to hook in the head area.Flatheads always seem to take the bait head first and seems to improve my hookup.

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    on that puppy. Just in front of the dorsal fin using a rubber band instead of line.:wink:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    from what ive dealt with and heard from guides hooking in the lip in swift current lots of times the fish rides face first in the current thus doesnt move. in the spine area behind dorsel allowes them to go in any direction to try and get off hook. witch attracts feeding fish.

8. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    All very interesting, maybe I will rethink my position, however it has been observed that Flatheads typically eat their fish head first, which gives merit to the lip technique.

9. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I have hooked them both ways and i have noticed that hooking them around the dorsal fin allows them to swim around and attract fish, i have had good hook up ratio on both ways but i seem to have an easier time keeping them alive while moving from place to place while hooked through the back. Its mainly just a matter of your opinion on where you wanna hook them.

10. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    All very valid points, another reason to be a member of the BOC

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Actually, I never hook them through the lips. The only time I hook them under the dorsal fin is that rare instance of when I use a limb line. I also have him barely in the water, so as he swims, it creates a ripple on the surface.

When fishing in a pond, lake or even in a river where there is no current, I hook them through the tail section where they can swim freely, trying to get off the hook.

When fishing in the current, I hook them in one eye and out the other. They seem to live longer and stay on the hook better, than if I put it through their lips.

More than anything else, I would make sure to, shall we say, adjust, the baitfish. I cut 1/4 of the tail fin off & then scale off some scales along both sides of his tail area. This not only sends "oils" into the water, but forces him to swim as the wounded fish it is. Definitely a turn on to a hungry catfish.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hook that thing in the bottom of the tail on a three way rig, and get way more action out of your bait trying to right itsself.

13. littlecat

littlecat New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i hook through the back above the spine as when i hook in the lipps they dont seem to move much. so i go with the movement seems like them flatties like a bait that moves.

14. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I like to hook them in the mouth when I am fishing in current and hook the under the spine behind the but in calm water. I think this alows the fish to swim more natural.

15. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste

I agree with kenlaw. I think they die quicker tail hooked if the current is too fast.
    That's one reason I like to fish areas where there are current breaks. If you can get your bait just out of the main stream, it will live longer. I think hooking behind the dorsal or anal fin gives better hook ups. Think about it, if the fish is going down the throat head first, the hook is in just the right position if it's in the back half of the bait.

Just my .02
    Good fishing!

16. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    um...i agree with him

17. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    On bluegills/sunfish I almost always hook anywhere from the mid back under the fin (if a fish feels the hook, I believe they will think it is a back spine perhaps?) all the way back to the tail...

Chubs I go straight through both lips out the top of the head...

18. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I hook my bluegills just below the dorsal fin. They seem to stay on the hook better and have more action. A flathead is a voracious feeder and will inhale a bait. I don't know if it really matters where you hook a bait when a flat hits.

19. shane hershey

shane hershey New Member

State:
    pa
    i like to hook them through the back,i like wounded fish sending out distress type signals.plus its easier to pull them out if they find a rock to hide under

20. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    I usually hook them in the lips because the problem with hooking them in the eyes is if you are using a circle hook it will sometimes come back around and the point of the hook will get hooked in the side of the fish making it impossible to hook the fish you are after.