Lipper-Gripper Tools

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Redtick, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have seen videos of guys using lipper gripper tools to land big cats. I am thinking about investing in such a tool, I want one that accurately weighs fish also, and I am wondering if any of you guys have any knowledge or advise on buying one. I see all types of grippers that run from around $30 to $120. I don't want to buy some junk that will fall apart or won't give an accurate weight measure. But, I don't want to spend for more than I need to for something that is just priced higher.
    I have seen some going for around $100 that will weigh up to 30 pound fish and the scales can be sent in to be certified accurate.
    I like the idea of being able to better handle my fish so catch and release is possible and I like to be able to take a picture of my catch so you guys can get a chuckle on how small of catch I get.
    I have several scales, some spring loaded, some digital. But, none are really accurate when measured againt the certified scale at the local marina. Does anyone know what to buy?

2. bluekatcher

bluekatcher New Member

State:
    illinois
    I cant really help you but I am in the same boat. I would like to buy one but I am really squeeky when it comes to spending money on something that my net and old hanging scale has been doing for years. I agree that the less you handle the fish the better off they are, in my opinion, but I mostly catch and release all the fish I catch, everyonce in a while I will keep a few small 5-10 lbers for a fish fry but all bigger than that goes back and I have never had a prob with fish dying, so why fix it if it isnt broke. I have fished with people that use them and they are handy tho.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bought one two years ago to use landing Bluecats on the JamesRiver here in Virginia.. It weighed up to 125 pounds. I tryed it four or five times and was very disapointed with it. I could never get the gripper to consistantly hold a big fish,(over 30 pounds), as I was lifting it out of the water. If the fish was still lively trashing around, those big rubbery and slimy lips just didn't give the gripper the type of surface it needed to hold well. I ended up selling it on Ebay. I think it would have worked fine on a hard boney jaw type of fish like pike and some of the saltwater fish but it was no good for large cats. I have gone back to using a net and my old spring scales that go up to 50 pounds. The fish in my avitar picture bottomed the scale out while better than a third of the fish was still on the floor of the boat.

The original boga grips cost 3 times more than the Rapala knock off and would love to hear if they work on cats but I sure don't want to pony up $200 and find out they don't work!

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I ponder myself about this situation,I fish the Bob Brown Wildlife Conservation area. There is a station on this land but to my knowlege there is no actual agent.I presume they can call him if he is needed but I'm pretty sure it's just got menfolk who work the land for them. If I was to catch the "Beast" any advise as to what I should do about getting it weighed without injuring it so I can release it. Keep in mind I'm a woman with a disabled husband,and I currently fish from shore! Thanks in advance.:smile2:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :smile2: im thinking on buyin one myself, so when my wife gets runnin her mouth at me i can drag her back to her parents house.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Best bet would probably get a 15 foot stringer or something and tie it off on shore. Tell you could get some help. Bob brown is a nice area with squaw creek up the road I'm sure there is always an agent around!

As for the lip grippers they will work if need be. I have the Repala model and it sucks. The gap is not that big so if you get a fish over 20 pounds it's hard to get it out of it's mouth. Now they do make a wide gap model that would be much better. The real downside to them is the numbers wear off to easy. After being in the boat for a season and a half you can't read the numbers any more. I would just buy one of the coffee marketing scales. There nice and digital plus if you leave the fish in the net it will add support to the fish while its being weighed.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Coffee Marketing scales, I am sorry Sir,I am not familiar with this term. Can you please explain?:confused2:

8. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota