Lip locked catfish on Lake Marion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by sailfish218, Mar 14, 2007.

1. sailfish218

sailfish218 New Member

State:
    SC
    Last Memorial Day I spent a few days at Lake Marion and was cruising around in my boat one day and saw what I thought were two catfish lip locked rolling around on the surface. I turned the boat around and by the time I got to them they were gone. About two weeks later I was back at the lake drift fishing when again I saw two fish lip locked on the surface. I was in a pontoon boat so we decided to sneak up on the fish and scoop them. My son moved to the front of the boat with the net as I eased over to them as carefully & slowly as I could. As we got closer it was clear these were two nice cats in the high teens. As i centered the fish with the boat my son put the net in water and in the fish went. As soon as they felt the net they went crazy thrashing and spalshing. The biggest jumped but we landed the other(about 15lbs). It had the others mouth inprint on its nose. That was a lot fun. I asked around and no one I asked had seen this but did hear of it before. Does anyone know if this is part of the spawn/mating process or what. Really cool to this.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I saw it on a video i have. that happens when they are spawning. its kinda like fighting for territory or something.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i seen it too at santee one day. it happens more than you know. watch the pictures of post spawn fish and you will notice a lot of fish with scares on there head. im amazed you caught one of them. i tried but didnt get even close. they are fighting just like ronald said for territory.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ronald is right those were to males fighting for territory and that is a rare thing to see especially twice. I have never seen it before but have heard of some people saying they have. Even in the rivers they do this and around the end of april into early may some of the fish I catch look like they have been through a meat grinder from fighting in those shallow beds.

5. sailfish218

sailfish218 New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the comments. I hope to see this again and maybe net a few in the coming weeks

6. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My brother in law saw that at Santee State park a few years back. I have never seen it .Sounds kinda cool though.

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    thanks for sharin your experience...what a sight to see.

cyas
    robert