Lip grippers.

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by alton, Jan 30, 2007.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Since I only bank fish and usually have a decent walk, I try to pack the least possible amout of equipment. I was thinking about getting one of the 28" Berkley Big Game Lip Grippers to use in place of a big landing net. I fish the Mississippi around the Alton Dam. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    In my opinion a lip gripper is a necessary tool to have, but it's not the easiest way to land a big fish. A large net is much quicker and easier.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I don't bank fish very often but when i do i like having a big landing next, i throw my tackle box and chair in there and it actually makes carrying my stuff easier, but i have never used a lip gripper so i don't know how nice it would be.

4. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The lip grippers are nice but when handling big fish the teeth will bend. That is on all of them, cheap to the high dollar ones. I know of several of the boga grips that have had to be repaired for that. A in line pull works but if any sideways stress happens they will bend.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Another thing to note. If you plan on using the lip grippers as a scale good luck reading them little hash marks in the dark. You might as well make up a number and save you some time.

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: 100% with Doug on this one.

A Lip Gripper is a very good tool to have when you are holding up your catch when taking a photo. But you need a lager net when landing a big fish. I too do alot of bank fishing, and you can't beat having a good net. :big_smile:
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I AGREE WITH DOUGC AND SHANIA.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Yeah, unless the fish your likely to catch are under 10 lbs and you play them out till their tired (not likely if your using heavy tackle) the lippers aren't a good way to land the fish.... your better off w/ a gaff but i don't endorse that because it does damage to the fish and is illegal in some places.

Best bet is to just carry a fair sized net (don't need a huge one... just something to be able to help get around the water side of the fish and pull him up so he doesn't get away) and then use the lip gripper to hold him once he's landed...

Also get one that fits the fish your going for... I have a 26lber because most of the fish i catch are going to top out before 20 and i have that 6lb room incase... though w/ me fishing on the potomac i need to pick up one that goes to 60 now cause i've topped mine a couple times w/ fish me and my tourny partner have caught.