Lip Gripper, Do You Use One?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by jeremiad, Nov 13, 2007.

Do you use a lip gripper?

1. Yep, all the time.

2. Sometimes, if the fish ain't too big.

3. Rarely, since it don't work too well.

4. Never, they just don't work at all.

5. Can't tell ya, don't know.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have considered purchasing a lip grip tool to help control the landing of my fish without losing them; however, I have read about some bad experiences with lip grippers.

So, here is your opportunity to sound off. What do think about these tools...do they land the fish or the fisherman?

Thanks!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    For landin I'll swear by a good net. For a pic of a channel that will tear your hand up its a must. LOL! There are folks on here that land some big fish with em.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    My friend has one and I did try it out. I guess I don't have any complaints the two times I used it. However, I personally do not have a need for one. I use a net, weigh in a net (with my new Coffey scale) and release after a photo or two.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My pappy said if it was worth doing, do it right. So, he made me do it man-o-to-man-o, bare hands and I still do i that way. Whats a little skin when you love fishing so much.

5. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I wondered about them, just never wanted to spend the money to find out If they were better than hands on, and a good Scale. Thought the grip and weigh all in one would be nice, But figured damage to the fish wouldn't out weigh the need.
    :boss:​

6. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    It's interesting that I have heard arguments that the fish grip actually reduces chances of hurting the fish. Apparently there are some folks opposed to nets, claiming that the fish can get all hung up and cut up in a net.

I suppose also that lip grippers are popular among kayakers, being that landing a large fish in a kayak is a delicate operation if you don't want to go swimming with the fish! :big_smile:

Here is Jenn's take over on the Virginia Rivers Talk forum:
    Kenneth replied:
    Mike B responded:
    I thought that these great opinions were buried too deep in a thread, so I brought them in here. Great insight, I would say! :0a31:

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The grip that I tried to use just wouldnt hold onto the jaw good enough for me, but I have seen guys use them. I prefer a BIG net!:wink:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have one I use on eater channels. It works well for them.
    If i'm fishing for flatties then a good net is hard to beat.

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im 65 years old and ive been using a lip gripper all my life.its called a good right hand it worked for my dad and my grand paw so its good enough for me.

10. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have always used them, and as of right now I have the Rapala one with a built in 60 pound scale..Every digital scale I have ever had stopped working, So I got the gripper b/c its convenient and I can weigh the fish real quick and no what type of weights I have before I even go to a weigh in..As far as taking a pic, they are good for that too..I dropped my last one I had in the river, and I missed it while it was gone..I think the gripper Helps NOT to damage the fish.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I have always used them, and as of right now I have the Rapala one with a built in 60 pound scale..Every digital scale I have ever had stopped working, So I got the gripper b/c its convenient and I can weigh the fish real quick and no what type of weights I have before I even go to a weigh in..As far as taking a pic, they are good for that too..I dropped my last one I had in the river, and I missed it while it was gone..I think the gripper Helps NOT to damage the fish. Its a COnvenient tool to have also if you have carpet in your boat and are trying to keep the carpet half way clean, you dont even have to lay the fish down in the boat floor.

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I've started using these team catfish fish grips to handle fish once I get them in the boat (to photo and stuff) they work real well and save My hands. I'm a maintenance guy and its no fun to work with cut up hands.

Attached Files:

13. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brad,
    Can you pull a big cat out of the river with your lip gripper , or do you just use it in the boat after you have him in the boat? I have a new cheeper one with a scale in it That I just got, it worked fine on a 14lb. & a10lb. blue, but I didn;t lift them out of the water with it. Olddriller

14. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I use a net to get them in the boat. never tryed to lift one out of the water with the fish grips. I recently left My fish grips at our weigh in site during a tournament. I caught a 30+ lb blue that day and when I was trying to put him into the livewell He clamped down on My hand and went crazy felt like He was trying to twist My wrist off!! That was early Oct. and the scabs have just finally fallen off this week. no fun at all.

gloves work fine but I hate putting on wet gloves. and they offer no help if the above scenerio happens. The fish grips not only save your hide but also might spare you from broken fingers or a sprained wrist.

15. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Never have considered using one. Only use hands.

16. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Jeremiad is correct about using them on the kayak. Also they are a big help in saltwater fishing. Lots and lots of saltwater fish (even small ones) can crush fingers or even cut them off so I try to keep my hands well away from the business end of biters. Grippers do help reduce damage to the fish .

17. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i wouldnt use a pair. ill reach out and lip a bass. and i strap on some gloves and handle catfish like a real man

18. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Real men don't bass fish......LOL:wink:

19. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I went ahead and spent the high dollars (and I mean high) on a Boga Grip, it has worked perfectly on hundreds of blue cats up to about 35 pounds. Heavier fish get netted. The Boga has never come loose and if the fish spins so does the gripper section, but not the handle. It has reduced the slime factor in the bottom of my boat significantly, and after a quick weight and maybe a picture, the release is effortless. I wouldn't have any other brand that I have heard of regardless of price, and many of my friends have gotten rid of their grippers and went with Boga. A word to the wise: use the strap AND put a float or noodle on 'em, you can't afford for those to go overboard! I use enough noodle to float a good-sized fish (after a while and it gets tired) so you can retrieve the gripper even if it's still attached to a fish when you drop it!

20. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Well, so far the "Can't tell ya, don't know" vote is winning.

That means that there are quite of few members who are very interested in reading the well stated responses on here.

Who knows whether or not lip grippers get added to the Christmas wish list? We'll see! :wink:

Thanks for the great input so far...keep the experiences coming!