Lines and fur prices this year?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by backwoodsman68geric, Jan 5, 2010.

1. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    How did everyone do on the lines this year? How did the fur price's do in your area's? Rats were our money maker at a top of $5. We heard of some getting more then that but we only had offers of $3.80 up for top end. Our red fox topped at $12. Mink were $10 tops for males and $5 for females. Few beaver we caught brought low offers of $5 and down. Possum were .50 tops, bunch brought .25. Skunk were $3 tops if they werent stinky and had wide white stripes(most were $1-$2). Had offers of $12 tops for one of our 3 badger. Had quite a few buyers look at our coon, fianly took a $5 top offer with a hard but fair grade. We put up all of our rats, mink and reds. Beaver, possum, skunk, badger and coon we green skinned only. We released the few grey fox we caught as the numbers are on the decline, our buyer quoted prices of tops of $8 for greys.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Our season runs until the end of February .... so I am still out the planting steel .... haven't heard to many prices from this area yet and will probably sell my fur at the State auction in March.

Garry-

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    The only report I've seen has cat prices down 70% from last year. At those prices, I won't even try. I enjoy trapping, but I'm not going to reduce the population a single cat if I can't sell them for what they should bring. I'll let all the other folks deplete their bobcat populations for $20 per cat. I'm not interested in the least. I'll probably trap a few coyotes just to be getting rid of them, and maybe a few nuisance coons. None of them are worth anything, so after I catch them I'll probably pitch them in a hole in the ground or something. Sad.

4. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    We've still got a week or so. Got way too cold and we cant use snares so all the footholds were frozen in. Trying to get a beaver line going in a few weeks. Jlingle those coon may bring a few bucks. I keep hearing of a possible upswing come spring too.

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That sucks that you can't use snares. I love to use them, they are about the only thing that usually works for me when the weather gets real nasty.

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Prices lower than last year.
    Got a tops of $8 for coon in the round.
    Average 1st of season $3.50 for small to Xls.
    Later Dec $5.50 avg for all.
    $9. for red fox in the round.
    $1.00 skunks
    Nothing for possums.
    I didn't water trap this year--I was going to trap rats & mink late season but the weather turned awful with untrusted ice.
    Something was just different this year.
    We had torrential flooding in this area this summer.Roadways that never get more than wet were 3' deep in water.
    Don't know if that killed critters or just relocated them.

Have a good 1
    just

7. backwoodsman68geric

State:
    illinois
    We managed to put up a nice collection of 'rats. We really had to travel to find any though in numbers. Our otter are thinning our rats I believe. Lots of otter sign but they're protected. We have too many coon, yotes and beaver. I'd bet it'll be that way next year too unless parvo or distember etc comes thru. Reds are on the decline and greys are getting very thin. We released the 4 greys we caught. Believe it or not skunks are not around in the numbers they have been before?