Linecounter Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by dust777man, Jul 25, 2008.

1. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Anyone use any of the reels with linecounters on them? If so, which brand do you use or have used and do you like them?

2. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I have some of the Okuma Magda reels, size 20DLX and 30DLX. The line counter seems to be fairly accurate and repeatable. The counter does not appear to hinder the casting range. I've used mine for several years and still like them.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    never had a reson. seem to comersome. is there an advantage fishing inland for them. courious.:confused2:

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    most of these reels are used for drift fishing around here in my neck of the woods.

reason why is we drift in large lake letting the wind push the boat to cover a huge amount of water we use multiple poles at once like 6 or so and we use the linecounters to seperate the rigs dragging behind the boat like a pyramid first rod set out with 200 ft of line then the next rod set for 175 the next at 150 then 125 on each side of the boat the idea is this way when you hook a fish less chance of tangles in other lines and also staying in the school of feeding fish longer as you drift threw them.

5. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I use a line counter for spooling reels but not for fishing... but not having a boat so i can't troll or drift may have something to do with that.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Line counting reels should work great with the new Hummingbird 997 and etc. Once fish is located, move up stream and then count your line back in front of the fish.

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    We used them in Norway for targeting schools of fish at a specific depth. It was an advantage that paid off well. They are BOAT Fishing Specific reels and give Little Advantage when fishing from shore unless you have a target area at a known distance. The counters have Little or No effect on casting distance as stated before. I to have Okuma a 20DLX reel and it is a Good piece of fishing gear. JMHO!!!!!

HOPPY4

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have 2 a Shimano Tekota 500 and a Okuma.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Line counter reels are designed for boat fishing in situations where you are trolling or drifting and want to have your bait a specific distance behind the boat, or when fishing deeper water and you want to target fish suspended at a specific depth. And remember that when trolling, the amount of line you have out is a major factor in how deep your lure is running. If you reel in and want to put your lure back at the same depth as before, you've got to know how much line you had out, and let the same amount back out.

10. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for all of the replies. Gonna try one out and see how it goes.