line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Cmartin4538, May 6, 2008.

1. Cmartin4538

Cmartin4538 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Do you think braided line is over rated, if so what do you think is the best line to use for catfishing:cool2:

2. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    I think it all depends on where you fish .. braid works in lakes and resevors small diameter and Very strong ... but heavy snags and sharp rocks its usualy better to go with mono... i river fish using 65lb braid as a main line and a 60lb mono around 8 feet for a leader just cause it can handle the rocks better...:smile2:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    In my first few years, i used braid and lost many many fish due to the river being full of rocks.

Last year, I went back to 30 and 40lb mono and didn't break of many fish.

Use what you are comfortable with and have confidence with.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I think the best combonation is to use braided line with a mono leader...

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Use what you have confidence in. I'm always trying different line on reels and different lines for leaders. Right now I'm trying Jinkai for leader line. Iam how ever a firm believer you get what you pay for in fishing line. Buy high quality line and you will be alright.

6. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The braid is super strong and impressively small diameter, but it's very expensive and not as durable. There is a post somewhere on the forum where a test was performed dragging various lines across a concrete block. The Spiderwire mono proved to be way more durable than Power Pro braid.

I saw 30 lb mono snapped like it was nothing recently, so I decided I had to upgrade my 20 lb mono. I didn't like the large diameter of 50-80 lb mono (which is a real disadvantage in swift water), so I bought two spools of Power Pro braid yesterday. If it gets chewed up too quick, I'll go back to mono.

In a lake or river without a lot of snags, I'd definitely go mono.