Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by strictly catfish, Mar 4, 2008.

1. I was curious if a Brother could tell me why fisherman don't buy the strongest {#} pound line for catching any size fish instead of purchasing a smaller pound line.Thank you for your instruction.

Sincerely,
    Strictly Catfish.

2. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    1st and foremost, your reel will only hold so much line, the larger the line the less it will hold. I know you don't want to be out catfishing with your Aubu 6500 with 60ft of 60lb test line when you could have 100+ yards of 17lb test. you are more likely to wear a fish down and bring him in than you are to muscle him in. I personally use 50# test but I also use Calcutta 700TE reels.

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Lots of reason everyone has a different reason though. Heavier lines don't cast as well when you are bank fishing and need distance. You have to match the line with the reel. You don't want to put 40lb test on a reel that was designed to hold 12 or 14lb test. If you put too heavy of a line you won't have enough line. Besides that you may ruin the reel. ( especialyl so on spinners) Need more weight to hold down heavier lines. These are just some of my reasons. :wink: LOl

4. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:big_smile:

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Alot of reasons come into play. Using lighter line gives you better castability, you can fill the reel with more line. Lighter line is more sensitive for those lite biters. Alot of guys like using braided line. This gives them a smaller diameter line with heavier pound test.:0a26::0a18:

Mark from Nebraska..

6. Fishbit

Fishbit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Another reason is that extremely heavy line that gets hung up is very hard to break off. The break will be at the weakest point in the line and that may result in the loss of most of your line instead of just the terminal rig.
    Poor casting distance with smaller sinkers is the main reason.

7. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    The lighter the line the more fish you get hold of. Presentation of bait is more natural. Line is less visible in daylight conditions.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im not one of them but some of the brothers think catching a 50 lb.fish on 12 lb.test is a lot more sporting than the same fish on 80 lb.test.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    For the same reason I don't use a log chain to fish for crappie. It's just not very practical.

10. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    While fishing for flatheads I use 60 pound Ande. One of my good flathead buddies who is a great flathead fisherman with some huge fish to his name thinks 20 pound is "heavy". I have rigs like this - Abu 6500's, ugly sticks, 20-30 pound line but I choose the heavier outfits and line mostly because I have confidence in them.

11. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    What I go by is use the strength of line for the weight of fish your fishing for.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use 12 lb. P-line and don't have any complaints. Ya just can't horse em in with the lighter lines, and the drag better be set correctly.I may jump to 17 on my baitcasters however.

13. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What dictates what line I use is several factors. How much wieght I will be using and size of baits (current). What the reel is rated for (I may go to braid on a reel rated for say 14lb test mono, go to 65lb braid that is aprox 14 diameter) That way I dont jeapordize the amount of line capacity. If I need more casting distance, go to smaller mono or equiv diameter braid. What size fish I expect to POSSIBLY catch. Amount of structure Im fishing, water clarity etc. Pick a line that fills YOUR needs and set your drag accordinly! (Im not a spelling bee!) :wink:

14. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    not me, i need luck,heavy line and sometime dynamite:eek:oooh: