Line

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Mickey, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have read post on rods, reels, jigs etc, for crappie fishing. What line do you use? Do any of you use the fluorocarbon lines?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I just use reg 4# mono. I don't crappie fish that much.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just use 12 lb. for most fish besides cats.

4. Catfish Levi

Catfish Levi Member

State:
    chillicothe, mo
    i use 8# stren clear blue fluorescent. i did try stren fluorocarbon and i really didnt like it at all i think i only used it 3 trips imo i think its kinda hard to be good ol oringnal stren use in on all my crappie and cat rods

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use the silver thread an-40 in 6# for all my ultralight fishing and it's real good. last fall i started using 4# berkely fireline. it doesn't need to be retied as much and it is super strong. great for heavy cover. on a snag i can straighten out a jig hook rather than break the line.

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got a good buddy (Wooly on the BOC) from over in Denison Ill that is an avid crappie guy. He swears by 4# flourocarbon.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Berkley Trilene Fluorocarbon 4 Lb

8. Cryophilous

Cryophilous New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's exactly what I use.

9. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Mickey, I think I will respool every reel I have with the Sufix Braid for next spring. I now have a little bit of every brand spooled on crappie,catfish and walleye rigs. But I have had absolutely no problems with the Sufix I have. I have noticed it pretty much eleminates the twist tangles on the spinning reels too.

10. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    mr. crappie in 4# and 6#.does'nt really matter crappie ain't line shy.

11. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I don't fish for them to often but when I do I use my U.L. and they are all spooled with Trilene XL #4.

12. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    12# stren clear blue original. stays limp in cold weather and strong enough to pull jigs loose when they get hung.

13. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    A tip for those using lighter lines that twist. Pull a few feet off your reel and re spool by running the line through a phone book. It works, just reel it back slow. Works similar to re spooling from a boat/water.

14. TxBuddha

TxBuddha New Member

State:
    Texas
    6# Gamma co-poly, 8#, & 10# P-Line CX have gotten the most use from me until now. I've also used the 6# Mr. Crappie Hi-Vis with good results when dock shooting.

My newest adventure involves a 7'6" St Croix Legend Tournament Walleye rod with a Shimano Stradic 1000. It's strung with 10# Fireline in the Flame Green color and about a 4' section of 8# BPS fluorocarbon tied on for a leader. The combination of the high modulus rod and the no stretch line makes for a very sensitive outfit. The jury is still out on this combo though, I haven't fished it enough to know if I'll stay with the Fireline / fluoro combination or go back to the Gamma / P-Line.

15. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i always use 4-6lb test... i use a slab seeker rod and reel combo now, it is really long and sensitive and allows me to use lighter line with less chance of a mishap

16. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I used to use the trilene xl in 4# test.The last four years I have used the mr. crappie camo and hi viz.Both in the 4# test , for some reason I like the camo better and I have flo. paint on all my tips anyways.It is strong enough to land me a 23 pound drum , lol

17. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i prefer a clear line for my crappie fishing and pan fishing, i think that the high vis stuff can draw their attention and take away from the presentation of the bait. i catch a lot more pan fish on clear line than the others. i like stren/trilene/berkley failry good for the lighter wait lines. with pan fishing im not very picky on the brand like i am in my bigger setups.

18. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    My eyes are not as good as they use to be, so I'm going to give the Cajun Red 6# test a try this year. I hope the lighter line does not have the memory that Cajun is accustomed to having. I can see this line OK. What do you think?

19. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I like that red line it is pretty good. I like to have a 8lb main line and a 36in fluorocarbon leader in 6lb test.

20. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i was wonderin when someone was gonna mention cajun red. i got 6lb spooled on both my light rigs. it works great. as you said, i had a little problem with the twisting in the beginning. my way around it was to put a couple split shots on, lob it as far as i can a half a dozen times, then after that, no worries. i love it now. its great with the knots, low viz underwater, and its held up pretty good. i like the low memory on it too. also, good value. not too expensive, ive spooled both my light rods, and still got enough for another spoolin or two.