Line

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by bobcats fan, Jun 17, 2009.

1. bobcats fan

bobcats fan New Member

State:
    jackson,ohio
    What is the best line for bait casters and how heavy
    i use 30lbs. cajun red on my bill dance river combo but i would like to try a heavier lbs. but i am trying not to get birds nest

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i think 30# is all you need if you snag heaveir line is hard to break and with a good rod you can land some big fish with 30 i got my pb 56.5# on 10# test line took me awhile to get him in i just took my time and didnt horse him none

3. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Bigger line may bring more birdsnests because of the memory mono has. I switched to braid and it really helped me. You still need to adjust your knob each time you use a bigger bait or sinker. JMO.

4. bobcats fan

bobcats fan New Member

State:
    jackson,ohio
    are braids a good option for baitcasters

5. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Zach, I personally think braid is the way to go. I like the power pro line. The thing with braid is 50 lb. + line has much less diameter than 30 lb. mono, cast smoother and for me at least, no birds nest. (after making that statement I will probably backlash the very next time I cast) As for breaking off, I use a mono leader of less lb. test when fishing snags and brush. Also- Never try to wrap braid around your hand and try to break it off, because it won't break, and probably cut right into your hand or fingers. Wrap it around a boat cleat and fire up the engine. It's tough stuff and as far as I'm concerned the only way to go on a bait caster.

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use 40lb. berkley big game. its tough,cheap,and i landed my pb 51.9 flatheadon it.hav'nt had no birds nest either! shane

7. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    AFAIK the only issues with braid on baitcasters is a little extra wear and tear on the levelwind guide, and line slippage on the spool, which can be solved by wrapping a piece of electrical tape on the spool before putting the line on to give the line a little something more to bite into.

Personally I never use braid because it's just too darned expensive, and the little spools that it's normally sold on are barely even enough to string one reel.

I don't think you can go wrong with Berkley Big game or Stren HI test, both are cheap, come on big generous spools, and will hold up just fine to just about anything you can set a hook into.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cajun Red does have a problem with memory. Its a strong line but I prefer Berkley Big Game. Less memory and just as strong. 30# test is strong enough to land most fish, if the reel drag is set right. Let the rod do the work on those big ones. There is a product on the market called Reel Magic that you can spray on the line to help with the memory problem.

9. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K

10. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    go with the 80#...I have broke the 50# on a hook set....I will never use braid again for that reason....I use 30# Suffix mono Hi-Vis tangerine....with a 40# leader of low visibilty for the obvious reasons ( hard to see under water)....

11. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I looked at some reviews from basspro and cabelas and most people say this stuff is almost impossible to break, even the 20-30lb stealth. They're saying the key is to use a polamar knot on everything with braid.

12. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I got to agree with you on the Cajun Red. I bought a big roll of it and now I have a lifetime supply of leader material.:smile2:

Am I the only dude that uses Bass Pro Excel?:0a28:

13. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

14. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Love the sufix siege line. Now if i can just find the tangerine in 30 test or more for a decent price.

15. Tuckertroop

Tuckertroop New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 30# mono myself. A buddy talked me into trying the 50# braid out but i seen no real noticible benifit for the price. Sticking to the mono

16. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    that is all i use is berkley bi game 30# test would never paid the price for braid mono is cheap

17. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have the BP excel line on right now but am taking it all off...lol...I know its good line, but for some reason have had alot of break offs recently, never had that problem as much before using polomar knots. I switched back to Stren Green Hi Strength 30lb test, have had good experience with that line in the past, plus I just picked up 3 400yd spools of it in 30# at Mejier for 7$! I thought I was gonna pay 7 and some change per spool, that is a nice shock to have at the register, guess its on sale big time..

18. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I only use braid. The low diamiter will keep your bait in place. Less drag in the current. As for spooling it up. Put 20 yards of mono on first and blood knot your braid to that. I use Cabels 50lb ripcord. It's not that expensive and it works good. I heard the new suffix braid is better than power pro. Just picked up two new 6600s going to give the suffix a try.

19. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Wow. On my way to Meijer's.

20. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    40# is the biggest line i'll use cause after that unless you have a huge reel you cantget much line on it.