LINE WT FOR HUGE STRIPERS

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Sep 4, 2009.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    IF YOU WERE GOING AFTER 30+ LB STRIPER WHAT LINE WEIGHT(MONO) WOULD YOU USE FOR EM....

SITUATION:

DESENT AMOUNT OF COVER
    NIGHT
    WINTER
    USING LIVE SHAD ON A BALOON RIG

NOT LIKE IT MATTERS MUCH :roll_eyes:

2. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    20-30lb is what i use:cool2:

4. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I usually use a 25lb flourocarbon leader.

5. Teatle42

Teatle42 New Member

State:
    VA
    I fish for Stripers in the Chesapeake Bay, and I end up using the same poles that I had spooled up for Cobia over the summer. So... 25 pound test and a 40 pound shock line on one rod, and 40 pound test to 60 pound shock line on another rod (all mono). My shock line is mostly on there so I don't snap the line as easily when surf casting, but it's also quite helpful for boat and pier fishing if that fish decides to put up a nice fight before he gets into the net.

6. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    25 pount test Mono should handle a fish like this. Almost 40 pounds from shore.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  7. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    The World Record Striped Bass 78.8 pounds was caught on Ande # 20 Mono.
    From a jetty.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  8. festus

festus New Member

I seldom go above 30 pound test for anything. Saw somebody catch a 23 lb. striper below Melton Hill Dam on a crappie jig this spring using 6 pound test line. He had to chase the fish probably 1/4 mile to land it.

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    SO I WAS KINDA IN THE BALL PARK WITH THE LINE WT.....HERE IN HAVASU DURING THE STRIPER SEASON THERE ARE A GIGILIAN 2-3 LBERS CAUGHT..... SO EVERYONE SAYS TO USE LIKE 8-10-12 MONO..... BUT I NOW KNOW WHERE THE BIGGER DUDES HANG OUT AT SO I WAS LOOKIN AT WHAT "VETS. USE" FOR BIGGUNS :wink:

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Most folks around here use 20# but I see way to many getting away. Them big ones run you in timber and that's that....Ive lost a few myself on friends poles.

I just use my cat rod with 30# mono on it, I'm no Striper pro but I do ok...still learning.

I say 20# is great but depending on structure circumstances you might have to step it up. If you down rod over heavy timber ya might want some 30#. If your bank fishing consider that its harder landing one than on a boat because of the angle of your line pulling into shallower water where the rocks usually are ; )

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  11. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    All I do is striper fish and I use 25 lb big game with a 20 lb fluro leader. The fluro leader is very important. I only use seaguar . Its a chance you take. If you use bigger line you might not catch as many fish but you wont lose the bigger ones. Like the other man said, the problem is the big ones go straight to the trees. Thats how they get so big.

12. MedicMike

MedicMike New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Here in the Northeast, life is all about stripers. My all around preference is 30# braid and a 40# fluorocarbon leader, but if you were using mono, I would say 20# would be fine. At the very least be sure to purchase some high quality mono if you're going to go that route.

I think the originator of this thread, uses a Penn 209M from a previous post. If I am right, then what I said above holds true. It should hold 320 yards of 20# mono, which should be good for what you're looking for.

I attached a couple of recent stripers I've caught here in NJ. First one I got September 18 off of the beach at Island Beach State Park on the Jersey Shore on a Kastmaster. Measured about 32". Second one is from June 19 on the open boat Prowler V (www.prowler5.com) out of Atlantic Highlands, NJ. Both were caught off of Sandy Hook, NJ on clams. Sorry for the crummy quality on picture #2-it's a cellphone picture (I am in the tan hat with a 10#, 28 inch fish, and a 24#, 35 inch fish)-my camera died that night.

Attached Files:

13. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    20# should due.

this one came this spring on 20#, weighed in a couple ounces under 30 pounds
    [​IMG]
    and this wiper at 15 pounds came on 6# line
    [​IMG]

14. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    those are great looking fish, keep up the good work

15. MedicMike

MedicMike New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Sweet looking striper! Where do you get them in Indiana???

16. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    that fish came from a first time trip to cumberland lake, in KY. there are a few lakes that have them here in indiana, raccoon, patoka, brookville and a couple smaller lakes as well.

17. MedicMike

MedicMike New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Wow. That girl is big enough to look like she came out of saltwater.

18. M Pain

M Pain New Member

State:
    N. Central Pa

50# BBG Oooooh those treeeeees!