Line weight ?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by cathouse, May 14, 2007.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Not having had the big cat experience yet i need to understand what it is that makes the line weights that are used by so many here needed , for example i have read post were some of you go as high as 150# test with leaders up around the 50-60# weight . Is it honestly cats that require line that heavy or is it the conditions that you fish under ? Please forgive my ignorance .

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Both, but mostly conditions... snags, sharp rocks. When you get right down to it there are just a few monster catfish. Mostly it is our own imagination. Lot of time it is just because tying it on with a large cat is seen like a fist fight, and no one wants to loose. Everyone has to be their own conscience. A meat fisherman fishes with a completely different mentality than a simple sports fisherman. Meat fishermen stack the odds in their favor, whereas sportsmen give the edge to the fish. But, to each his own. Just have fun and fish....

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    YEs say you have a 30 or 40 lbs fish on in the river I fish if the tide is really moving that fish can become the size of a 10 lb fish or more. Just today i had a fish break #40 test befoe I could even get to the rod hold.

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    on my penn reels I use 50# and fish on the river most.

5. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I use anything from 4 lb to 130 lb depending on what I'm trying to do (set records) and what the water is like - clear or full of snags. In my opinion, most fishermen tighten the drag way too tight and break off fish, blame the line and hooks, and buy heavier test line. For blues in fairly open, deep water, I like 20 lb line and a longer fight. For flatheads in the timber, you will need to go to 50 lb or better to take the abuse of the snags. Good Fishing!

6. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use the highest test or slightly above the manufacturer's recommendations for the reel I am using which is usually 25-30 lb.Have a few reels that are rated for 50 lb.line.Most line breaks are caused by bad knots or too heavy drag setting.
    Jake

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    In the lake's I fish 20 or 30# line will land most of the blues and channels in there, but if you are where the flatheads are you had better have a rod, line and a reel that will turn it out of the brush and or rocks it's in or you will be empty when you see the end of your line

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

I was there and seen it myself.

9. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is a lot of good information that I agree with that the others have said. If you want to be serious about catching good cats you can't go cheap with your rod and reel. I'm not saying to buy the most expensive you can find, but you want something that can withstand a lot of fishing and the oppurtunity for a big cat. The rivers I fish in usually have a slower current and so a 20lber will feel like a 20lber. I use #40 big game test and I set my drag accordingly so that if a fish weighs around 40lbs or more it will pull out, but if it wieghs under that I will pull it in. I love the fight, but I love to try and win tournaments also. If you do fish around a lot of rocks and timbers, check your line often to make sure it is not dinged up and coming apart. I don't think you can ever retie your line too much! Hope this helps and good luck!

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Conditions include whether you're fishing from shore or from a boat. You can chase a big cat in a boat, but from shore you better have the tackle to stop it. I've seen several guys get spooled below Dardanelle Dam on the Arkansas River here in Arkansas; they were using custom 14' rods, Penn 309 reel (big!), and 50# test mono. And that 50# mono sounds like a rifle shot when it breaks. Then it's time for wailing and knashing of teeth, and stories about the big one that got away.

11. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    jtrew. Me and my dad was fishing at dardenelle and had one that we could not turn on 50# and 13 foot rod. the week before we got 25# flathead on dead bait. I know what who mean about breaking the line. pow and he was gone.